'This is Cornwall'' -and Cornwall @ the Olympics...

Topical debate
Nige999

Re: 'This is Cornwall'' -and Cornwall @ the Olympics...

Post by Nige999 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Whoops, sorry for the double posting, tried to correct my bad typing while the first was winging its way to the Cornwall24 servers.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:12 am

Nige999

Although trevPen's been perverting this forum for a while now, it was good to finally hear him talk about Ben Ainslie & Helen Glover as successful Olympians from this countRy of ours, Cornwall.

Revelation for our tedious, boring, misguided TrevorPen??

Perhaps he's finally read Angarrack's Scat' Larrups....

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:17 pm

I suppose he didn't approve of Andy Murray not even trying to sing the "dirge" anthem.........

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:19 pm

One can hardly blame a Scot for not singing it when it's full version includes the nasty line "Rebellious Scots to crush". It's not a national anthem anyway - it's an absurd glorification of one person. No one's said a word about English competitors not singing it, have you noticed? But then, why should they? They're there to take part in their sport, not to take part in a choral event.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:54 pm

What is great about the Olympics besides being in this country and the amount of medals won is how the whole country has united in celebration.
The whole country has been cheering all our athletes on whether they're from England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Race, creed or colour has quite rightly made no difference . Long may it last.
By the way Nige999 I think Andy Murray, together with many athletes from all over the world have been so filled with emotion that they have been unable to sing their national Anthems.

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Trevorpen wrote:The whole country has been cheering all our athletes on whether they're from England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Ooops, Trevorpen! A careless error. You missed out the fourth nation of mainland Britain - Cornwall! (of all places!).
Your comment should, of course and taking Malcom 'Renta' Bell's lead, read:
'The whole country has been cheering all our athletes on whether they're from
Cornwall, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland(?) or England.'

Hope that helps!
Last edited by TeamKernow on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Now, Now, TK......

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:03 pm

By the way Nige999 I think Andy Murray, together with many athletes from all over the world have been so filled with emotion that they have been unable to sing their national Anthems.
Ah right, thats why the Welsh rugby team and their fans sing that pathetic dirge when they are trashing every other rugby playing nation in the World, including ingurland.

Oh dear, they don't - they sing "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" which means more to the Welsh than some tedious bit of royal arse licking.

From Wikipedia

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau is the Welsh National Anthem. It has been established by tradition over a hundred years; and although in common with other British anthems, it has not been established as such by law, it has been used in the context of a national anthem at official governmental ceremonies including the opening of the Welsh Assembly and at receptions of the British monarchy"

Get your facts rght Trev.

tean

Post by tean » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Being pedantic may I point out that it is Team GB who are competing in the Olympics and the official anthem of GB is GSOQ.
It is a mournful dirge and I wish GB could come up with something a bit more stirring.

btw didn't see Wales trashing the Aussies this summer. ;)

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 pm

I could be pedantic as well and ask what about Northern ireland ? Great Britian is a generic term for the island that includes Scoltand, Wales, England and Kernow.

The United Kingdom is something else again, so the term "Team GB" is actually incorrect.

I've got a great idea, lets change all the maps of the world so all the countires and shaded red and belong to something called an "empire" administered by england. But maybe not as I think it was tried before and all went tits up.

"btw didn't see Wales trashing the Aussies this summer."

I am not a rugby fan so I stand corrected on that one.

tean

Post by tean » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:12 pm

As far as I am aware Northern Ireland are represented in Team GB at these Olympics.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:17 pm

You know as well as anyone else Nige999 GB contains the countries of England and Scotland and the Principality of Wales. Cornwall is not a country as you imply.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:20 pm

You are of course correct Tean, but some of the medal tables use the term Great Britain and Northern Ireland which is also correct.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Oh, look, GB stuffed by Argentina (women's hockey). Something tells me we'll see more of that scenario in the next year or two.

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:58 pm

trevorpen

what the f**k do you mean "you know as well as everyone else Nige999" ?

Who do you think you are trying to put words in my mouth and thoughts in my head ?

Its easy to spout such shite when you are hiding behind a keyboard.

Tell you what - I am back in the UK On Wednesday, and have a couple of hours free in Plymouth. As a well known "authority" on all matters Cornwall you obviously live there so why don't you pop on up and insult me to my face. I would really enjoy that. Shame none of my Welsh mates could make it, they would really appreciate a discussion about their homeland being described as a "principality".

And to return to my original point that you have tried to hijack - yet again - Great Britain is not a constitutional entity, it is a land mass (albeit a small one). And you and Tean should be aware that a lot of people in NI are very unhappy with the "Team GB" brand. As it says on passports "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland " - it should be "Team UK". As the meerkat says, simples.