The Cornish language

Topical debate
capten

The Cornish language

Post by capten » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:28 pm

What are your hopes for the future of the Cornish language? Is the language of interest to you? What would motivate you to learn it? What role should the language have in Cornwall?

Pandr'yw agas govenegow rag termyn a dheu agan yeth? A gevowgh an yeth dhe les? Pandr'a wrussa agas movya dh'y studhya? Py rol a dalvia bos dhe'n yeth yn Kernow?

Carvath

Re: The Cornish language

Post by Carvath » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:04 pm

A more and continuing use of Kernewek on street signs, pub signs, shop signs, etc., all of them promoting Cornish heritage and culture. Place names in general. What Cornish Quest is doing is excellent and their programme contains a significant language component. Music is another area worth expanding.
On learning the language, 'start 'em young', must have its advantages.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:39 pm

I hope this helps: An Republeger Kernow http://thecornishrepublican.blogspot.fr/

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:50 pm

A couple of years ago I organised a group of Cornish speakers to put together a CD course based on the Pimsleur method.
We got as far as an entire script for lesson one and then it stopped without explanation.

Pimsleur courses are around 90 lessons of 30 minutes each. There is no writing or reading and they are presented in normal language. You learn incredibly quickly and only ever fluently. What I mean by that is that you don't have to translate a word or sentence into English in your head.. It just means what it means.
It works by teaching a phrase or a sentence, breaking it down, rearranging it and repeating it in various contexts over the next few lessons, reducing the frequency over time, pushing the fresh knowledge from your short term into your long term memory.

I've done Norwegian and German and very quickly reached a good level of fluency. I work for a German company so I can't fairly comment on the German version as I should imagine that immersion has helped.

This method is so quick and effortless that it becomes addictive.. This is what the Cornish language needs.
It's image at the moment is of a group of knitted-jumper wearing, geeky types sat around a bare table in a shoddy village hall studying books made for children.

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Just seen this mention of the Cornish language on PopSci!

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:15 am

IMO the language revival has got stuck. It has succeeded in getting a minority of generally not-too-young people to learn the language, even in a few cases to become fluent, but this has had little impact on the wider society. Nor will it until there are places and situations where Cornish is habitually and naturally spoken, not self-consciously and to make a point, but simply as a matter of course. Only then will the language be taken seriously by anyone outside the charmed circle of night-class attendees. Most people will not want to spend their time on a language they can never use in practise. The 'Revival' is nearly 110 years old, it didn't start last week, so what has gone wrong?
Putting up Cornish signs btw is I'm sure good for promoting Cornish identity, same as flying the flag, but I doubt it will do very much for the language as such. As long as all signs are bilingual no one will ever need to understand the Cornish.