Falmouth University

Topical debate
3cornishchoughs

Falmouth University

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Just read that the name 'Falmouth University' has been approved as the new name for UCF:

http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/151/news-from ... -4790.html

I think this is a good choice for the following reasons (I know many would have liked Cornwall University or similar).

1. University of Falmouth would have been my choice. On paper this sits well with the top UK universities who prefer this form to indicate they are top dog (especially in towns and cities where there are now more than one university). This is almost universal for the Russell Group institutions. However other excellent universities prefer the short form, e.g. Swansea University or Prifysgol Abertawe.

2. Traditional universities have all been part of town development and have taken their identity from their urban context. Even the University of the West of England and the University of East Anglia usually use their initials now because of the lack of specific identity (UWE, UEA). Falmouth University

3. University of Cornwall or Kernow University as I saw one suggestion would preclude from, in the future, other towns establishing universities, and why shouldn't we think that possible? Truro College is growing and Penwith College ought really to be Penzance College. You'd end up with a clash of identities with this option. Cornwall College can probably just about get away with it.

4. I would like to see the urban culture of Cornwall get a bit more attention than it currently does. A lot of our towns have or had intellectual centres in the form of technical schools and colleges and it is good to see Falmouth-Penryn developing as as a scholarly centre for Cornwall. I think there could be more. It's sad Camborne School of Mines ever left. It hardly seems to have an identity at Tremough.
3cornishchoughs

Marhak

Re: Falmouth University

Post by Marhak » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Why not University of Glasney? Glasney Collegiate Church, Penryn, where so many of the extant religious plays in Cornish were penned, would almost certainly have become a university had it avoided the excesses of Henry VIII. This name would link location and history.

As for the School of Mines, the original wasn't in Camborne. It was a long, single storey building at Botallack, near the Count House and now a dwelling called Botallack Vean. But I agree that its identity is submerged at Tremough.

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:35 am

I'd like to see Glasney College's identity reinvented but in this case UF has a base at Wood Lane in Falmouth itself, pre-existing Tremough. In terms of the inevitable need to market the university, Falmouth would be much easier than Penryn/Tremough/Glasney, I imagine.

I didn't realise CSM was originally based at Botallack. I do think however that the loss of a premier learning establishment in Camborne is bad for the town. Similarly I hope that Redruth manages to keep the Cornish Studies Library and that the proposed merger with Cornwall Record Office happens there rather than Hayle. Redruth makes sense logistically and on many other levels. Both R and C seem to have lost out on benefits from the greater interest in mining heritage since WHS site designation, but there may of course be projects afoot I don't know about.
3cornishchoughs

Palores

Post by Palores » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Despite living in Falmouth, I am one of those who would have preferred "University of Cornwall".
But the real problem is that this "new university" still apparently has no independence, but is controlled from England.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:19 am

Yes. Despite promises to the contrary. As usual.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 pm

I too would've preferred Univ of Cornwall/Kernow, though UoF is fine, the more important issue, as rightly pointed out above, being one of academic independence, and thus no longer relying on UoE for issuance of degree certificates. In terms of historical perspective, Glasney was, after all, a centre of academic excellence far earlier than Exeter.

As for CSM, I too didn't realise it was located at Botallack, before Camborne; this notwithstanding, I still believe moving it to Tremough was a mistake. The cons for Camborne far outweigh the pros for the university, in my view.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:31 pm

They can call the university what they like, until Exeter deem the university is able to run and function by itself, fat chance, it will remain Exeter university. Giving it a new name changes nothing.

As for CSM, it was never at Botallack. At one time, there were a number of mining schools around Cornwall, catering to the need to have trained engineers etc, to work and run the mines. If memory serves, a mining school from Penzance merged with the one at Camborne, around the end of the 19th century (?) to create the school we had until a few years ago, pre Exeter.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:36 am

To clarify: Falmouth award their own taught degrees and have done since 2005. They also control and administer the Tremough Campus (as far as information from a relative working there says). Theoretically Exeter is a tenant. However either Exeter or Plymouth validate degrees at "College of St Mark & St John, the Peninsula Medical School and the FE providers (Cornwall College, Truro College and Penwith College). The name on the certificate will therefore be Exeter, Plymouth, Falmouth or the OU. Research degrees at Falmouth carry the College name as well as Plymouth’s." (http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/1046/the-univ ... ll-53.html)

Within this of course Exeter exerts its authority on CSM and the Institute of Cornish Studies. It is true, however, that UoE has an implicit policy against an independent pathway for Cornish HE. They themselves don't use or identify overtly with the CUC umbrella which is telling, except as a nod to funding (see: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/cornwall/index.html).

It really would not have been fair on other HE institutions in Cornwall for Falmouth to have bagged the title University of Cornwall. What about Truro and Penwith that are growing by the day?

With the greater powers that full university title will bring to Falmouth University, there is a real chance it could become good competition for Exeter and Plymouth in a wider range of subject areas.
3cornishchoughs

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Sorry, Paddy, but the original School of Mines was at Botallack. Originally in the building called Botallack Vean, then relocated to the annexe to the Count House which much later became the Folk Club and the restaurant, now a display and function room. Adam Sharpe (St Just Mining District 1992) mentions the School of Mines in the latter location.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Marhak wrote:Sorry, Paddy, but the original School of Mines was at Botallack. Originally in the building called Botallack Vean, then relocated to the annexe to the Count House which much later became the Folk Club and the restaurant, now a display and function room. Adam Sharpe (St Just Mining District 1992) mentions the School of Mines in the latter location.
Nothing to apologise for Marhak.
As I said, there were a number of different mining schools around, I did not know which was the first, only that Camborne was the last. At least that's what we were told when I was there.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 pm

So how long was it in Camborne for?

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:13 am

Rosko wrote:So how long was it in Camborne for?
From 1888 to 1975, when it moved to Pool, although the student accommodation and club stayed in Camborne.
From 1975 to 2004, it was in Pool, and now, Camborne School of Mines is in Penryn.

In 1910, the Penzance Mining School, and the one in Redruth, merged with CSM.

Marhak, when was the school at Botallack started? Because the info I have is that classes started in Truro in 1839, and it was not until 1858 that classes were started in St Just, by which I assume they mean Botallack, which was the same year that they also started classes in Camborne and other places, (although classes were held in Camborne from 1858, Camborne School of Mining, which eventually became Camborne School of Mines, was not formed until 1888).

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 am

Had many a good night in the CSM club! Said club and student digs were scat down and rebuilt and are now 'retirement' apartments, built right opposite another earlier scheme of 'retirement' apartments!
BTW, the old gas works in PZ is to befall the same fate. There are big shiny signs telling how waterfront retirement apartments are all go!
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 am

They won't be for retired Cornish people, either. Have you see the design? Dire isn't the word. Tiny, uniformly spaced windows in bare, featureless walls. It looks horribly like a prison block. A lot of care was taken by the old Penwith planning office to ensure a good design standard for the Waterfront Centre (and it IS good, too), but Cornwall Council have utterly failed to do so on this site, right next door to it.

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 am

Mark/Mahrak, just a quick one: the Old Gas Works proposal as Churchill retirement flats has been universally rejected by the Town Council planning committee and as I understand it has also been recommended for rejection by Cornwall Council--why the signs are still up I'm not sure. The original mixed use plan for it is (apparently, although there is so little communication and transparency one doesn't really know) being revived by the new 'Town Team'... but that's another topic.
3cornishchoughs