Churchill appealing PZ Gasworks refusal

Topical debate
3cornishchoughs

Churchill appealing PZ Gasworks refusal

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:43 am

Thought I'd pop this on a new thread.

Esp for attention of Mahrak, the proposal for the retirement homes on the former Gasworks site in Penzance (Wharf Road) was refused:

http://planning.cornwall.gov.uk/online- ... 0L3FG1H900

But it is in the process of being appealed.
3cornishchoughs

Roger Lowry

Re: Churchill appealing PZ Gasworks refusal

Post by Roger Lowry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm

Hopefully Churchill homes will lose its appeal and put it on the market where in the current market & without planning it would go for very little - then maybe Cornwall Council will buy the site and a bargain price. Then we could go ahead with a masterplan that fits what the community has supported, ie the Harbour Users plan - we shall see.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Cornwall Council buying land for development in this prestigious spot? What a nightmare! The public sector should be kept well away.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:09 pm

What's prestigious about it? Penzance is run down and dying. No one invests here any more. 30 empty shops at last count, and people being driven away from the rest by outrageous parking charges. I'm not saying that it needs Cornwall Council - not with the present people in charge and not until it employs some (knowledgeable) forward thinkers - but it needs the Harbour Users Plan, by people who know the place and know how to kick-start its future.

Roger Lowry

Post by Roger Lowry » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Communities and Local Government Secretary Mr Pickles also revealed that next year the Coastal Communities Fund will be increased by £4million to £28million, a 17% increase on this year.

He said: "There is huge potential in our coastal towns that goes way beyond them only being places we visit for seaside day trips and holidays. We are seeing opportunities being developed all the time by new industries and the Government is determined to help our coastal towns make the most of them.

"This money will help those towns tap into these enterprises and create the skills and jobs that will benefit the whole community.

The Penzance Harbour Users Association applied to the fund this year and were turned down because "project plans were less well developed than others". Precisely why the application was made! Maybe next time!

I might buy the gasworks site myself if the price is right - if only to protect it from inappropriate development

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:27 am

PZ might have empty shops but it is far lower than the national average. And 90 odd shops and cafes on Causewayhead itself, the majority independent. That should be celebrated and encouraged. Most days Thornes, for example, is packed out and on Saturdays town is bustling, full of people, arriving by the busload. If you don't use Penzance town centre regularly you will not see this but just believe what you read in the papers. Hardly 'dying' but a miracle it does as well as it does considering the raw deal the town has had over the last 30 years.

I do get cross at people who do Penzance down. Yes of course there are a lot of improvements to be made and it would help if the town had a much stronger leadership--there are too many interest groups that actually do not represent the will of a majority even if they say they do. Since 1974 PZ has lost control of so many of its public buildings and since the unitary authority came in Cornwall Council is at liberty to dispose of what is left. The scandal over the Royal Geological Society Museum, the wilful dereliction of the Market House building by Lloyds (they are not interested in letting out the empty parts), the prospect that St John's Hall will become council offices and another land asset sold off for flats, how is any of this going to help restore Penzance's civic spirit? We don't even have a proper museum that tells the story of the town and harbour. Cornwall Council is very unlikely to buy any property when they are in the middle of selling off so much of what they 'inherited' from the districts.
3cornishchoughs

tean

Post by tean » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Penzance did have the opportunity to become a University town back in the late nineties but thanks to opposition from within and a District Council with no vision it was killed off. Now Penryn and Falmouth are the beneficiaries of Penzance's lack of foresight.

Don't get me wrong I love Penzance as it has a great community spirit and it's not a clone of so many upcountry towns. Chapel St is a delight as are Morrab Gardens, Penlee House and not forgetting the views of Mount's Bay and the Mount itself.
Penzance on Mazey Day compares equally with 'Obby Oss and Flora day, IMHO.

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 pm

I hear that Churchill's appeal against refusal has been upheld.

I look forward to the granny flats that will now be built on this prime site. The grey pound rules.

An entire lack of vision or grit shown by town and Cornwall councillors, a total lack of town planning to present strong alternatives, and the upcountry panel who upheld the appeal have clearly never been here, are of course, to blame.
3cornishchoughs

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Here is the inspector's reasoning for upholding Churchill's appeal.

I draw readers' attention to paragraph 23 which makes a very good point about the lack of vision and plan actually committed to paper, ratified or otherwise for the future regeneration of Penzance. A case of too many (school dinner) cooks?
3cornishchoughs