The Bristol Pound. A Cornish Pound ?

Topical debate
GrahamHart

The Bristol Pound. A Cornish Pound ?

Post by GrahamHart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:24 pm

factotum

Re: The Bristol Pound. A Cornish Pound ?

Post by factotum » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 am

Indeed. But if anyone wants to do this sort of thing, please take advice from existing schemes and keep within the law, follow any regulations, draw up acceptable rules and register them where necessary, otherwise they'll be down on you like a ton of bricks. There are enough problems involved in building a sufficient basis of trust to get something like this underway, without trying to take on the entire British state broadside. Remember, we're living in an occupied country and most people don't even know it.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Been blogging about this idea for years now: http://thecornishrepublican.blogspot.fr ... 20currency

Someone from the council was looking into it a while ago weren't they? Equally I think the Cornwall Transition movement, along with various LETS schemes, were interested.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 pm

A guide to community currencies can be found here (pdf): http://www.global-community.org/gc/news ... 0Guide.pdf

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Great stuff Fulub. It's not my thing, but I'm glad others are aware of it because I think there will come a time in the not too distant future when we will need it.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:54 pm

I've been informed the people to contact are Volunteer Cornwall: http://www.facebook.com/VolunteerCornwall

melyndhowr

Post by melyndhowr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:29 am

Hi All
I work for Volunteer Cornwall and working with the New Economics Foundation and the University of Exeter, we have secured a small grant to conduct a feasibility study into the possibility of a Cornish Pound.
We first looked into this in March of this year and our plans were to do this, initially at least, on the basis of a currency built around care support for older people. The idea being that the currency would reward people who spent time providing care, support & services for older adults to take pressure off the spiralling Adult Social Care bill. You would earn a unit of currency for doing so many hours of volunteering. This clearly has a benefit to Cornwall Council and so in return, we were negotiating for them to recognise and accept this unit of currency. The thinking was/is that you can save your currency and use it to pay for your own care (or that of a relative) at some later point or you can spend it now on Council services such as leisure centres, parking or Council Tax.
Although all of this is still in the ideas stage, I am pleased to say that Cornwall Council are interested in exploring the idea because they recognise the serious challenge that they (and all areas) will have in meeting the growing adult social care bill in coming years - particularly with less resources available.
Once established, our longer term aims would be to expand the currency into other parts of the Cornish economy, much like the Bristol model where you can spend it in local shops.
All of this is purely speculative at the moment, hence the next step being a feasibility study but with nef on board (who supported the Bristol Pound) and Exeter University - this is more than just an idea. We will keep you informed of progress.

Stephen Richardson

Post by Stephen Richardson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:31 pm

It seems to me that all of the schemes are just 'gift vouchers' of some kind. They are not currency in any real meaning of the word.

That's not to say that the various schemes may not be excellent ideas and very well worth the effort - but they aren't currency and rely entirely on the good will of those taking part.

Surely the people who care enough to obtain and use these gift vouchers could do the same with regular currency. It's how you use your disposable income that counts not what format it is in.

What will be interesting is to see how a Scottish currency develops on independence.
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:23 am

The Scots plan to continue to use sterling initially at least, which despite what you may hear from London, they are perfectly free to do, any country can if it so chooses. The only practical alternative would be to adopt the euro, probably not too wise right now.

If you wanted something that worked more like a 'real' Cornish currency than LETS etc. then you'd need to set up something that worked a bit like a bank. You might still be able to do this by using a company with shares repayable at par value if these were easily transferable. In the past the paperwork would be overwhealming, but with the internet a system of electronic transations might be possible. Someone who really knows their stuff would have to carefully research (a) the legal side and (b) the technical side, since both would have to be watertight before anyone would trust the outfit. There would also need to be active promotion to create the necessary critical mass, raise donations to cover startup costs and so on. The capital raised might then be mostly invested in land and property as part of a "buy back Cornwall" initiative.

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Cornish banking pioneered many banking practices that are now used the world over. At least that is what I was told once and I am, as part of my work on Cornish science, industry and innovation, am trying to find out. Penzance was an early centre for Cornish banking, capitalising on its status as a coinage town but then developing banking based on tin smelting (as distinct from mining). Other Cornish banks also relied on bullion tin to underwrite their financial transactions. Bolitho is a name synonymous with banking and was merged with Barclays early in the 20th c. Shame.

A more insidious form of local currency, also prevalent in other parts of the UK, was the works token. But this limited where a worker could spend his/her cash, i.e. only in works shops or works-approved products meaning that several employers took advantage of the system to keep cash in their internal systems. This was originally borne or necessity when free flowing hard cash was a rarity and works owners often had to go to the local inn-keeper for a sub to keep cash flow going (at least this was the situation in South Wales in the early eighteenth century).

Anyway this thread reminded me that Cornish banking is a subject worthy of further study as it has direct relevance to the movement towards devolution and beyond.

We should, of course, have a Cornish bezant...
3cornishchoughs

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:43 am

If you listen to the whole hour, you should get what common Law is all about. But listen at 33:59 for one minute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB5iaLeTICY Money is one option, but how about we create our own Country ? We could call it Kernow.

There are massive changes going on in the World...

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 am

Graham wants to create his own country. Him and whose army??

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:56 am

The country already exists, Factotum, it just needs a few well placed legal arguments to formalise its existence within the current British constitutional situation, and to bring that reality to the people.

This may take a bit of time and a few ££££'s too...

I don't understand why, when those that are arrested, charged & tried in this country, go to court, their legal reps do no insist on mistrials, as the crown vs A. N. Other is surely an abuse of power & position by the head of state of one country, namely England, over the legal affairs of its smaller neighbour, Cornwall???

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Own Basque social currency to be launched before the end of January: http://www.nationalia.info/en/news/1316

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:17 pm

A very good point, Rosko!