Robertson Ousted

Topical debate
Mark

Robertson Ousted

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 This is Cornwall

Leader of Cornwall Council Alec Robertson is removed in dramatic style
Cornwall Council leader Alec Robertson was removed from his post in dramatic style this afternoon.

A motion of a vote of no confidence in the Tory leader was carried by 63 votes to 49.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Leader- ... story.html

Meanwhile on Planet Lavery... http://www.guardian.co.uk/public-leader ... e-counties
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

3cornishchoughs

Re: Robertson Ousted

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Jim Currie voted in as new Cornwall Council leader.

http://www.penwithradionews.co.uk/46896

Julian German, Chris Ridgers, Steve Double and Graeme Hicks all resign.

This was an issue and a principle worth fighting for, in spite of the political upheaval.
3cornishchoughs

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:40 pm

It's all kicking off at Kremlin Kernow. Currie beat Neil Burden for the Leadership (49-46), but I've just heard there's a problem here. Currie is implacably anti-Cornish.

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:20 pm

There are elections next year, all candidates should be scrutinised for their support for Cornish self-determination, Cornwall and the Cornish people. It will become more and more difficult with the speed and intractability of social media for candidates to hide their stance and easier for voters to know them.

The attendant cabinet resignations came from pride and cowardice, a dreadful combination. There are still a lot of councillors left in the Cabinet whose intentions we don't know because they are not keen on transparency or representing (or indeed responding to) their people.

I never did get a single reply to my letter to each Cabinet member, just the one acknowledgement from Alec Robertson's PA.

MK needs to exercise its muscle and gain some political capital out of this. I know not many on here are on Twitter but as a measure of its impact, this Cornish issue was the fifth most trending issue in the world and the third in the UK while the vote was going on this morning. It's helped put Cornish democracy on the map, this in a sea of about 50 million tweets per day and about 175 million worldwide users.
3cornishchoughs

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Dick Cole's speech to the Council was short and disappointing. What Robertson's opponents have failed to articulate is their alternative. The shared services project was unpalatable but may be a necessary evil to save jobs and services. I doubt whether Jim Currie has a plan.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Whoever :o Whatever :shock: NOTHING will change. :( Different board of directors, same Corporation. ;)

http://www.tpuc.org/node/847

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 am

Interesting link. I thought that Cornwall 'County' Council no longer existed. The address is given as the 4th floor of Kremlin Kernow. So who's on the other 3?

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Well spotted Craig. I never noticed that. Interesting indeed.
Yes, they are known as Cornwall Council but still trade under their former name. If you click on the "Hall Of Shame" link at the top of the page, you will find many more 'interesting links'. ;)

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Currie is implacably anti-Cornish.
Really??!!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:27 pm

That's what I was told from a source within MAGA, who is worried.