Charles Philip Arthur George [Watch this space]

Topical debate
Anselm

Charles Philip Arthur George [Watch this space]

Post by Anselm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:08 am

I'm trying to draw up a list, chapter and verse, of the above individual's activities. Over the coming weeks, I'm going to post some details that have come to hand. I'll be more than grateful if you can correct errors and remedy omissions.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Re: Charles Philip Arthur George [Watch this space]

Post by Anselm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 am

The first instance that comes to mind is the refusal to issue writs for the election of Stannators to the respective Corporations of Stannary Towns. What exactly was the chronology of this? I've a feeling this may have in fact started in 1974.
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Have you asked Colin Murley about these? I'd imagine he'd have chapter and verse on it all. He's retired from the Stannary, but still has a house-full of records. He's currently running a website called "Save Cornwall".

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for that! Have you got the web address?
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:31 am

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks - I also wanted to inquire about other incidents - the Pacific oysters scandal, for example, or the refusal to pre-empt in support of the ITC, or the matter of some tinners who wanted to bound an old quarry.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 am

I'd be very surprised if Colin didn't have chapter and verse on those, too. Have you also contacted John Angarrack?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:48 am

I've been suspicious about the Duke's claim to own Scilly for some time, and I came across the following from Robert Heath's 1750 account of the Isles of Scilly (I've also sent a transcript of this to John Kirkhope):

"After the Dissolution of Abbeys and monastical estates, the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of Scilly devolving to the See of Exeter, the Civil Power was granted by the Crown to Lords Proprietors, on condition of their paying certain rents into the hands of the Receiver for the Duchy of Cornwall, for the tenure of those islands; by which they came to be acknowledged as part of the jurisdiction of the said Duchy; but only by the King's favour: For I cannot find by any records that they were ever annexed thereunto.

"They are subject by the said Grants only to the laws of their own Court of Civil Judicature, in all matters of debt, trespass or property, in dispute; the High Sheriff for the County (sic) of Cornwall having no authority in Scilly, except by permission of the Lord Proprietor thereof.

"And here I shall obesreve that in the Grant of the Duchy of Cornwall (which I have seen) to the Prince of Wales as eldest son of England, there is no mention made of the Islands of Scilly; though Boroughs, Franchises, Liberties, Corporations, Privileges, Immunities, &c. are particularly and numerously recited; whence if Scilly appertains, or is part of the said Duchy, it is rather permitted by favour than given to be so by Royal Authority; especially as the Grant of those islands to several late Proprietors, is expressed in so ample a manner".

To which I can add the observation that, according to Heath, Cornwall's High Sheriff has no authority in Scilly. However, that is an appointment made by the Duke, not the Crown as elsewhere. Why would he have no authority in Scilly if Scilly belonged to the Duke? Evidently, they don't.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 am

Sorry - that should be "observe" in line 1 of Heath's final paragraph.

TGG

Post by TGG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 am

Just a reminder that this subject has been discussed before, as a search will reveal. Worth keeping in mind this thread here . There are others. Something else to ponder upon. If Cornwall is not a part of England, then why would its off-islands be considered to be any different?

TGGFor The (Real)Reason Why!
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Evidently, then, some relevant issues will have arisen in Scilly during CPAG's reign. Ha anyone got chapter and verse?
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

TGG

Post by TGG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:55 am

Perhaps this link may help to resolve something.

In addition to the Duchy's argument regarding how the IOS passed to the Duchy, without being named (namely, already a parcel of the Earldom) and Heath's observation about not finding anything and thus it must have only been by the king's favour (sic), it should be noted that the Duke of Cornwall was a minor (only 9 when he became king in 1547 and died when he was 15) and never took possession. It was probably the reason that it would have been tne Crown that made the grant to the Lords Proprietors, and the rent paid into Duchy coffers.

TGGFor The (Real)Reason Why!
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:24 pm

If it happened during the reign of Edward VI, then the deed would have been done by the self-styled "Lord Protector", Thomas Seymour, Duke of Somerset. And, with him in charge, proceeds are most unlikely ever have gone near the Duchy coffers.

He didn't last too long, though. He was first arrested on insurrection charges in October 1549, not long after the end of the Anglo-Cornish War. The charges didn't stick and he was set free, only to be re-arrested in 1552 on charges of treason. This time he did get the final chop.