Cornwall Councillors Give Themselves A 20% Pay-Rise

Topical debate
GrahamHart

Cornwall Councillors Give Themselves A 20% Pay-Rise

Post by GrahamHart » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:49 am

So in these extraordinary austere and fascist times, Cornwall's councillors give themselves a 20% pay rise. Mebyon Kernow. The Party For Cornwall ? Your 'avin a laugh MK-ers. Or at the very least. Duped.

From the page of the Facebook pressure group KernowCalling:

Cornwall Councillors have voted 42 to 29 to increase their basic allowance.
Councillors are not salaried. Each receives a basic allowance and those with special responsibility like the council leaders and cabinet members get an extra allowance on top of that . All councillors are able to claim for mileage and subsistence on top of this. A Cornwall Councillors basic allowance will rise from £12,148 to £14,600 the change will come into effect next May when the next full Council is elected.Councillors unanimously voted to reject the Independent Remuneration Panels initial recommendation of a rise from £12.148 to £16,400.

Cllrs also voted to raise travelling allowance when carrying out approved duties from 40p a mile to 45p a mile .

Albert Lampey chairman of the IRP told Councillors that the figures had been drawn up to try to attract a wider range from society to become Councillors.

Cllr Alex Folkes Lib Dem Cllr for for Launceston Central blogged that he had voted against the increase and revealed how the parties voted.

the Conservative group split 12-12,
the Lib Dem group split 10-10,
the Independents backed the raise by 16 votes to 6,
MK backed the raise by 3 votes to 1 and
the sole Labour member voted for the raise.

According to the office of national statistics between June to August 2011 and June to August 2012, total pay (including bonuses) rose by 1.7 per cent and regular pay (excluding bonuses) rose by 2.0 per cent.
On these figures can the Councillors justify a rise of over 20% and do they all deserve it?.

Stephen Richardson

Re: Cornwall Councillors Give Themselves A 20% Pay-Rise

Post by Stephen Richardson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:58 pm

A rise of 20% in one year certainly could not be justified but the fact is that this is the first time in four years that the allowance for councillors has increased and it is unlikely now to go up again in the next four years.

When would there ever be a good time for councillors to raise allowances and not be criticised.

It is also well below the level reccommended by the independent body.

The matter of councillors' allowances should be entirely taken out of their hands and given to a different body to deal with - but that is down to Westminster not Cornwall.

It is interesting to note that the main group of people who voted against the rise are those who are financially independent or secure and don't particularly need the allowance.

If you want a council entirely made up of elderly, retired Tories then do away with allowances all together. if you want to encourage younger people from different social backgrounds then they have to be able to afford to be able to do the job.
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:21 pm

20% is an absurd amount. There is no justification, the public sector is being squeezed, jobs being cut and yet councillors think a 20% increase in allowances is OK for them.

Carvath

Post by Carvath » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:40 pm

I think Stephen Richardson's reasoning is appropriate and correct.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:56 pm

I don't think its enough - you pay peanuts you get monkeys, its well below average salaries even in Cornwall - yet councillors have an enormous impact on our lives. The real scandal is how much we pay MPs and their expenses.
At present only people with independent means can justify standing for the Council - I know I certainly couldn't. So our democratic freedoms are eroded by only allowing a small proportion of the public to stand.
Democracy should allow for access to all.

Crowsanwra

Post by Crowsanwra » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:02 pm

The thing is is that if you cant trust counsellors from MK - who else can we vote for?????????????????????

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Graham is 101% right here. What the hell is going on? Yes, we need a broad range of Councillors but is the timing of this that is wrong and MK could have used this (at such an important and opportune time electorally) to put the boot into the other parties.

Jobs and services are being cut. Can MK or any other party tell the people where the money is coming from the pay for this rise? Cllr Long claimed that he was subsidising his activity for the Council to the tune of around £1500 a year. Really? How does he live then? Being a Councillor is in part about you manage your time. I would like to see Stephen Richardson's proof that those who voted against the rise are financially independent. Perhaps some work and have another income. Of course those who cannot get a job should not be detered from being a Councillor but it does not have to be a full time job. One would be foolish to rely on income from being a Councillor because it is effectively a four year contract: you need to keep on your toes to try and find something else.

Cllr Long should also be aware that there are many, many workers across Cornwall who are forced to use their cars for journeys during the working day who are effectively subsidising their employer. Many workers have also had hours and pay cut (including pay in Cornwall Council).

Wrong decision at the wrong time.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:57 pm

If the whole of the MK voted against this, it would have given them more credance. But as 75% have voted for the increase they have been wrong footed and the other parties in the council can now use this to their advantage.

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Not quite right as there are a further 2 MK Councillors who were not present and therefore did not vote. I doubt there is much advantage that the riven Tories or the Fib Dems can get out of this. Its Labour who can make capital (I dont think Jude Robinson voted for it) and in places like Camborne and Redruth the electoral battle next May will be between Labour and MK.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:13 pm

To be fair, I got 50p per mile when using my own car for Council business as far back as 1998. With the price of fuel as it is now, I don't consider 45p per mile even remotely adequate.

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Marhak, I don't disagree with that but mileage should not be confused with pay. I am not sure what Cllr Long was referring to when he was talking about his own pocket subsidising Council business but, if he was talking about mileage, its a case of 'tough' because every Council worker or private sector worker who uses their car on their employers business is in the same boat.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 am

I was talking only about mileage, not the pay. Cllr Long and his colleagues knew the score before they entered politics, so it's little use him moaning now about shelling out from his own pocket. He had the choice of standing for Council or not and, if he wasn't happy about the terms, then he shouldn't have stood.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 am

The matter of councillors' allowances should be entirely taken out of their hands and given to a different body to deal with - but that is down to Westminster not Cornwall.
Therein lies the problem...

If we're to start thinking, believing even, that we can run our own race, without having to continually subsidise England & especially London transport, then we must stop thinking Westminster understands ANY Cornish matter better than the Cornish...

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:35 am

TrevorPen, please spare us your ramblings.... and GO HOME!!