DOWN WITH THE BUTCHERS APRON

Topical debate
Crowsanwra

DOWN WITH THE BUTCHERS APRON

Post by Crowsanwra » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Marhak

Re: DOWN WITH THE BUTCHERS APRON

Post by Marhak » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:28 am

Someone seems to have got the message. Baner Peran was still flying from the church tower at 4.30pm yesterday (Wednesday).

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Great news !

WTF do vicars (or whoever run churches) have to hang this rag where it is most unwelcome.

I remember seeing the same rag on the flag pole of the of St. Marys Church in Yr Wyddgrug (Mold) in North Wales. This is a town where Welsh can be heard used every day of the year. Thankfully someone got the message over that the Welsh did not really appreciate seeing this flag every time they looked up in Mold High Street so now the correct flag flies.

A minor but important victory for our Welsh brothers and sisters, and a minor victory for us as well. Great work by all involved !

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Thursday midday - 3 days later...Baner Peran still flying from St Just church tower!!

Crowsanwra

Post by Crowsanwra » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:43 am

I see Bigger - Mr blobby hes being called an d his English pals on this isnt Cornwall cant get their heads around this! well done the boys i reckon and so do a load more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tean

Post by tean » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Tuesday 3-45 pm NO flag flying on St Just Church.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Union Flag at half-mast on Remembrance Day. Fair enough. We might not like the flag, but the cause forbids complaint.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:59 pm

No flag flying up there at all today. In the meantime, the EIS trolls really are scraping the barrel. According to them (and none of them were within miles of the place), the English flag was "stolen". No, it wasn't. It was neatly folded and left in the tower.

roy999

Post by roy999 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:42 pm

Hope the person flying the giant one off St.Day road reads this. Or better still send them a polite notice as I have.

tean

Post by tean » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Just as I flew the Baner Peran in my garden when I lived in England if the St Day man is English then he has every right to fly his own country's flag if he so wishes. If he is Cornish then it is a different matter entirely.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 am

Baner Peran has never represented oppression and wholesale slaughter. It's a far different story as regards the other flag, which is why I never want to see it flying on Cornish soil.

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am

It would appear that the plain Butcher's Apron is out of order for C of E churches, they ought to be flying a version with their diocese's arms added top left (i.e. in the hoist = pole side). This is called 'differencing' in the trade. So look closely.
RULES GOVERNING THE FLYING OF CHURCH FLAGS
By a warrant dated 9th February 1938 the Earl Marshal laid down that the flag to be flown upon any church within the Provinces of Canterbury and York was "The Cross of St George and in the first quarter the escutcheon of the Arms of the See in which the church is ecclesiastically situated". In simple words, the flag of St George with the diocesan arms in the top corner nearest to the mast. Questions have been asked about certain details and the Garter Principal King of Arms gave the following directions:-

The Arms of the diocese are to be placed in the first quarter only (as in the preceding paragraph).
The shield of the Arms should fill the space and should not be ensigned with a mitre.
New flags should be made to an approximate ratio of 5 x 3 which is larger than, or more square than, ordinary flags to enable the Arms to be included.
Shields may be added to existing flags of St George without altering their shape.
The shield of Arms should be of the same material as the flag and inserted. The larger charges on the shield are also to be inserted but smaller charges and shading can be applied in oil paint. All heraldry is read from the flagstaff and charges on the shield must face the same way in relation to the staff on both sides of the flag.

The Earl Marshal's Warrant had the approval of the Archbishops of the day but it does not make it compulsory for the flag to be flown. "
Source: The Archbishops' Council of the Church of England, September 2001 http://www.churchcare.co.uk/atoz_flags.php
Colin Dobson, 18 August 2005

On the subject of C of E flags, and when (or why) some churches fly flags with the arms of the diocese in the corner, while others do not, I asked the Revd John Hall, who is Chairman of the Flag Institute, as well as a clergyman. He told me that the decision was the responsibility of the Parochial Church Council. Often, the cost of the flag with the arms in the canton is too much, and so they opt for the cheaper plain St. George's flag. However, if it becomes a particular hobby horse of a PCC member, then sometimes the money can be found.
Ian Sumner, 10 May 2006