The EIS strikes again

Topical debate
Shady

Re: The EIS strikes again

Post by Shady » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:36 am

Marhak wrote:And I'm Rip van Winkle.
Good morning Marhak.

Quote..And I'm Rip Van Winkle.....Not much of a reply was it?

Shady

Post by Shady » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 am

Marhak wrote:If Scots assert their identity, or the Welsh stand firm on theirs, or if the Cornish defend their own distinctiveness, then they're derided as "nationalists". But I'll tell you this - none of us has EVER descended to the objectionable and disgraceful kind of nationalism than the Bullingdon boys did today! But they are never "nationalist", are they?

The English have every right to be English. No argument with that whatsoever, and every Celt will agree. But the Scots have an equal right to be Scots, the Welsh to be Welsh, the Cornish to be Cornish. So, what does that make those (like Shady) who insist otherwise? I invite descriptions......
That makes us English.....The same as you.

You just happen to have been born (I presume you were born in Cornwall) in Cornwall which is a country of England.

What next? Independence for Shropshire,Gloucester? Where does it stop?

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:59 am

Shady wrote:You just happen to have been born (I presume you were born in Cornwall) in Cornwall which is a country of England.
Getting close, now you just have to replace England with Britain.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Shady

Post by Shady » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 am

P_Trembath wrote:
Shady wrote:You just happen to have been born (I presume you were born in Cornwall) in Cornwall which is a country of England.
Getting close, now you just have to replace England with Britain.
Good morning P Trembath.

I'll try & remember that. :D

Shady

Post by Shady » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 am

Marhak wrote:My Scots friends tell me that the EIS in Westminster (or Wastemonster as they call it) have today exceeded even their own high degrees of sheer bloody arrogance.

They have issued a "legal" statement claiming that Scotland is only a part of Greater England. That Scotland and the Scots don't exist. They are English. That not even Britain exists.....Jesus WEPT! Is there no end to it?

They have been doing this to Kernow for ages, with help from their cronies in the media, but I can't believe that their arrogance would try this on with Scotland!

Does this sound familiar? "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. We will add your distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile!" (That's what they think!)
Got a link to this legal document have you?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 pm

I'll give you the direct quote if you like, from page 75 of the UK government's report:

"For the purpose of this advice, it is not necessary to decide between these two views of the union of 1707. Whether or not England was also extinguished by the union, Scotland certainly was extinguished as a matter of international law, by merger either into an enlarged and renamed England, or into an entirely new state".

Not England extinguished by the same undefined "international law", by merger into an enlarged or renamed Scotland, then.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:35 pm

England...first written mention (as Englaland) 890 AD. Named from immigrant settlers from Angeln, Germany, these being lumped together with another German immigrant group from Saxony. Language, a Germanic one, very akin to modern Frisian

Cornwall (Kernow) first written mention c.400 AD. Half a millenium earlier, and probably a good deal older than that. Native people mostly descended from the first re-settlers of an empty Britain after the last Ice Age, c.11,000 BC and originating from Atlantic Europe (as confirmed by the recent Oxford Univ.- Wellcome Trust genetic survey of Britain). Language, from c.3000 BC onwards: a Celtic one, which also originated in Atlantic Europe.

Different people. Different origins. Different languages. Different cultures. Different histories. Not something to be derided or airbrushed away, but something to be celebrated and encouraged, as diversity brings dynamism to society. Homogenising peoples produces automatons. Not the sort of society I'd want to live in. Well, you wouldn't live - you'd be directed from cradle to grave, like the Borg Collective. No thanks.

Shady

Post by Shady » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Marhak wrote:England...first written mention (as Englaland) 890 AD. Named from immigrant settlers from Angeln, Germany, these being lumped together with another German immigrant group from Saxony. Language, a Germanic one, very akin to modern Frisian

Cornwall (Kernow) first written mention c.400 AD. Half a millenium earlier, and probably a good deal older than that. Native people mostly descended from the first re-settlers of an empty Britain after the last Ice Age, c.11,000 BC and originating from Atlantic Europe (as confirmed by the recent Oxford Univ.- Wellcome Trust genetic survey of Britain). Language, from c.3000 BC onwards: a Celtic one, which also originated in Atlantic Europe.

Different people. Different origins. Different languages. Different cultures. Different histories. Not something to be derided or airbrushed away, but something to be celebrated and encouraged, as diversity brings dynamism to society. Homogenising peoples produces automatons. Not the sort of society I'd want to live in. Well, you wouldn't live - you'd be directed from cradle to grave, like the Borg Collective. No thanks.
Yes correct Marhak.

But no matter what dates are attributed to the naming of the English & Cornish,the plain fact is that their predecessors walked along the now submerged land bridge that used to join the southern part of the British Isles to the Northern part of continental Europe.

So they walked from Europe into the British Isles & then spread out.That's all.Nothing mystical or different about it.Just a bunch of people doing what they've done since they spread out from Africa.

And the Cornish are no more different than any other indigenous bugger in the UK.Sure there's a few minor cultural differences in every county but you make out the Cornish to be somehow better & significantly different.

Now when people show a bit of tongue in cheek favouritism for their country,that's fine & people will treat it with a pinch of salt because it's good natured British banter.

But when you start all this separatism stuff well........How can I put it?....It kind of makes your cause look daft.

Now if I was an Islamic Jihaddy nutjob screaming for the death of the Cornish,I'd understand your reasoning.But the fact is,I'm not.But you Cornish folk who preach about separatism for Cornwall & the Cornish make yourself sound a lot like those Islamic Jihaddy nutters.

PS.By the way,I'm white,middle aged & very pro British.....And probably more right wing than most.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:38 pm

The ONLY indigenous people are the Welsh and Cornish. We displaced no-one, slaughtered no one, stole land from no one, unlike all who came after. Tell me where I've said we're better. We're not. Different, yes. I support devolution for all who want it. Even areas of England which would be a whole lot better off without London.

You're still trying to twist my words into a Cornish v English thing. It isn't. What Westminster is now trying on with Scotland, they've assailed us with for years. But many English people suffer likewise. What Westminster has now written is sheer unbridled bigotry/supremacy. This stems from the "privileged classes" who seriously believe (as highlighted by a recent TV programme) in their superiority, and that they have a God-given right to rule the roost. They treat the less well-off English as badly as they treat the Celtic nations.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 pm

And no, you're probably not an Islamic Jihaddy nut-job. Just the usual anti-Cornish nut-job that's plagued this forum since it started.

Shady

Post by Shady » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:31 am

Marhak wrote:And no, you're probably not an Islamic Jihaddy nut-job. Just the usual anti-Cornish nut-job that's plagued this forum since it started.
Well Marhak that's not quite true is it? Because I've spent sometime reading through previous threads on this site & it seems that it's you who has ruined it.

I note in particular that a 'ban you'thread was initiated because you are bad news & give the decent Cornish folk a bad name.Now I don't believe in banning folk from forums because I believe in free speech.......unlike you.

Like I said before,I am totally new to this site but I did monitor it for sometime before joining & it is plain to see that the main contributors to the site are a handful of like minded silly buggers who have ruined a decent site.

But things change don't they Marhak?......Things change.

Moderators Note:-

Posters will refrain from posting in such a manner as to attempt to start a Flame war.
Keep on topic, and do not fish.

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:57 am

PS.By the way,I'm white,middle aged & very pro English.....And probably more right wing than most.
Yes, I think you undeniably are - probably the only thing that we're all in agreement on... :roll:

Shady

Post by Shady » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Carbilly wrote:
PS.By the way,I'm white,middle aged & very pro English.....And probably more right wing than most.
Yes, I think you undeniably are - probably the only thing that we're all in agreement on... :roll:
Is that because you're another plastic Cornish person?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:47 pm

How's Toronto these days? Plenty of snow?