Half Cornish

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:44 pm

As far as I know my ancestors are from Cornwall and London about half and half. What does it take to call oneself Cornish? Have lived in Plymouth, Saltash (where I have a brother and often visit) but mostly abroad.

Me

Post by Me » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:54 pm

Depends on if you go along with the Stannators definition of Cornish. I think that's three generations of your family have to have been born in Cornwall.

My grandmother is cornish through and through, my grandfather is English (from the bolton area), my other grandmother and gradnmother are from overseas (asian / indian sub-continent). Although I was born in, and have lived in Cornwall all of my life. My great grandfather used to be captain of st day rugby team too in the inter-war period i believe, but Im also related to a guy called Jinnah who was a politician in Pakistan back in the 40s. Odd mix!

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:16 am

What does it take to call oneself Cornish?

when you can be away for a day or a week and still call it home.

Depends on if you go along with the Stannators definition of Cornish. I think that's three generations of your family have to have been born in Cornwall.

Does that count if ones family has rampant illegitimacy ? There are more b@st@rds in my family than the house of commons ! At least mine are all Cornish b@st@rds !!

Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:00 pm

There are more b@st@rds in my family than the house of commons ! At least mine are all Cornish b@st@rds !!

Lol :lol:

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:40 pm

What does it take to call oneself Cornish?

What does it take to call oneself English?

Stannator's definition? Where did you get that from, Me? It's not on the CSP web-site - I've just checked it.

As far as I am aware, the "Stannators" are a very inclusive group of people. They fight for Cornish civil rights, they query the government's position, they attempt to challenge injustice in the courts, they fight for Cornwall and they criticise the UK's lack of a written constitution but nobody that I know in the CSP has ever stated what you have posted.

All in all, it is perfectly clear to me that, in an ideal World, the CSP wants justice for the Cornish. It seeks equality before the law (why does nobody else seem interested in this UK deficiency?) No doubt that, if the CSP were successful in their legal challenges, the first thing they would do is instigate a parliament subject to a witten constitution. That way, Me, you could be assured that you will have equality, that you would be free from injustice and that you could, like anyone else, with your "colourful background", be fully integrated into Cornish society.

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with that!

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:51 pm

Can you guide us to the evidence for that? I can understand (even if I disagree with it) why for political reasons the Stannary Parliament might feel the need to have such a definition, but for the general population that type of definition can be ignored.

"What does it take to call oneself Cornish?" I think you know when you're Cornish ....when it comes to a time when you no longer have to ask the question maybe that's when you become Cornish. There's such a difference of opinion on the subject you might as well ignore going down the route of judging your Cornishness by ancestry alone.

Homeruleforcornwall

Post by Homeruleforcornwall » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:14 pm

This is probably too simplistic, but: My son was born in Plymouth, so he's from Devon. My wife was born in Tavistock, so she's from Devon, too.

I was born in Buckinghamshire, so I'm from Buckinghamshire.

We're all, therefore, English, having been born in that part of the world called England.

However: I'm also (probably) part Welsh (don't ask me which part). I'm also allegedly part-French, thanks to William the Conqueror, bless him. My wife has Scottish blood in her family. This all means my son is an interesting mix.

None of us feels French, Scottish or Welsh, though we're quite proud that our genes got around a bit.

Conclusion: Where you're born is where you're from.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:15 pm

Quote:

Can you guide us to the evidence for that? I can understand (even if I disagree with it) why for political reasons the Stannary Parliament might feel the need to have such a definition, but for the general population that type of definition can be ignored.

Where is the basis for all this talk about the Stannary Parliament having such a definition? I have contacts in the CSP and they assure me that this is definitely not the case. If anyone has information to the contrary, please post it up here.

In so far as my personal feeling on this matter is concerned, I will not stoop so low as to give my reasons. It is always members of the majority that insist that those who wish to belong to, or associate with, a national minority should justify their point of view.

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:54 pm

I was born in Kent, but only lived there for eight months, rest of my time in Cornwall. Consequently I never consider myself as from Kent, but from Cornwall, which is where I know.

My partner says I can never be Cornish as my family arn't from round here (although my father was brought up in Boscastle). But then his great grandfather was from Devon, his grandmother a Romany and fathers family - or part of them, started out in Wales, so his blood aint so pure.

I dont think that there are any cut and dried answers to this one!

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:12 pm

Where you happen to be born, or what you look like, is of no significance in regard to being Cornish.

The only objective legal criteria on ethnicity were defined by Lord Fraser in the case of Dowell v. Mandla Lee in 1983.

The judge declared that one's race, or physical appearance, had no bearing on ethnicity and went on to pronounce that it was possible to change one's ethnicity, provided, of course, you accepted the set of rules that governed the new background and were also accepted by that community.

If you take his Lordship's judgement and you accept the right of Cornish culture to exist, and you would promote that culture, there is no doubt that you would be accepted as an equal by Cornish members of the community. On that basis, Joanie, you are as Cornish as I am.

Bylen™

Post by Bylen™ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:34 am

O.o WTF A-barth Dyw,

Na pretty harsh, don't ya think? These kinda come to mind: Syns dha glapp & Ke dhe-ves Penn pyst!! :D

Hen

Post by Hen » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:16 am

I was wearing some new shoes on the weekend. I was trying to break them in for work. As a result, I now note that my left foot has developed a callus. So can I now call my feet half corn'ish?

Boom-tish