is my surname cornish???

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
Curno

Post by Curno » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:08 pm

-----CURNO ----- Anybody else got it ? if so when did it come or is it ancient to the lands.

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:42 pm

"Kernow" is a spelling for the old language word for Cornwall.

"Curno" MIGHT be just another old spelling of the same word.

I say 'might' because Curno is also a place name from Italy........

Google Curno........some clues there...
We live in interesting times!

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:59 pm

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Ma ... &type=name

This may be of interest - it indicates the origin of the surname Curno.

Also worth noting is:
http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Ma ... &type=name
Both of which seem to indicate strongly that this is a Cornish surname and is probably connected to the Cornish language word Kernow meaning Cornwall.

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Ah, welcome from youtube!

Curno

Post by Curno » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:41 pm

ahhhh thats for the help , i went on that website it seems its from cornwall looking at the stats all being in cornwall xcept for the essex bit which i think is me hahaha , also googled with the italy thing , and i look at ethnicity which resulted in 0.0 italian ethnicity so ill go ith cornish not Italian thank you very much. my other side of family is scottish surname i think i will take that name when im older , Gaelic beats brythonic right? yes ... no lol ???

edited by: curno, Jan 06, 2009 - 05:41 PM

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:17 pm

You sent me an insulting message, saying that my heritage of mining was boring and shit and now you've said in a public forum full of proud nationalists that Gaelic is better than Brythonic!
You've got some nerve!
Go do some research and find out just how much the Cornish have contributed to the world!
It's a fücking lot!

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm

These were the messages.

[1]
wow....thanks for your help... but finding out your acnestors are a bunch of cornish ***** miners is abit depressing screw this shit im in denial of this heritage. im changing my surname to my mums maiden scottish one and escaping this embarrassing heritage cornish ha.

[2]
i meant i found out mine was of mining , anyway yeah i think im gona stick with gaelic side of family atleast retained the culture the otherside cornish as far as im concerned is a mistake. we wonder why we got drove to cornwall in the first place , becuase we are naked confident idiots who got slaughtered in a mass genocide then ran away. And too think tehse people are our ancestors wow they must of been such cowards to have actually survive such a slaughter! im talking of myself as well btw.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Curno, Curnow is almost certainly a surname derived from the Cornish word for Cornwall, recorded as Cerniu in 878 AD and Kernow c. 1400.

It doesn't derive from any Cornish place name (and in spite of several publications to the contrary, Porthcurno DOESN'T contain "Kernow", but, as shown by its early spellings, "cornow", prob. an archaic plural of corn, "horn", from the pinnacled rock formations around the cove).

Curno, Curnow (and Kerno, sorry Beatrice, nearly forgot you)shouldn't be seen as an unusual choice of surname - the head of Planning at Penwith Council is Andy ENGLAND! Arrgghh!

Nothing wrong with Cornish heritage, Curno. After all, we discovered Neptune, invented the screw propellor, the miners' safety lamp, blood transfusions, the nationwide postal network, the steam locomotive and road car and even made the first powered and manned flight (8 months BEFORE the Wright brothers did it),the safety fuse for explosives, and many other things besides (and, one in my family - my father invented the sonobuoy. I only found that out from an obituary written by the Navy).

edited by: marhak, Jan 07, 2009 - 11:27 AM