willcocks or willcock

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
Willco

Post by Willco » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:34 pm

I HAVE TRACED MY FAMILY TREE AND THEY ALSO COME FROM THE LOOE AREA AND WE ARE THE WILLCOCK FAMILY NOT WILLCOCKS. MOST OF THE WILLCOCK FAMILY MOVED TO SWINDON IN THE LATE 18 HUNDREDS EARLY 19 HUNDREDS TO COME AND WORK IN THE GREAT WESTERN RAIL WORKS. IF I CAN HELP ANY MORE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME.

Milo

Post by Milo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:00 am

I have a William Willcocks born the 4th Mar 1854 in West Looe, son of William, grandson of John and Ann nee Pengelly. Is this your John.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:22 am

(NO NEED TO SHOUT! :) )

Willcocks or Willcock could be the same family - I've got someone way back who went from John to Johns.

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:47 pm

Name changes happened for many reasons, often people couldn't spell their own names and relied on census enumerators and registrars to record names for them. So e.g. Boulden became Bolton, Sandy became Sandry and Eustice became Eustace.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:16 pm

I've got one ancestor whose name is spelt Instance, Enstance, Enstice, Anstice and Constance(!). With the census it's likely that the enumerators were up-alongs who didn't understand the Cornish accent. :roll:

With the early census, the enumerators often also rounded up people's ages to the next-highest 5 years, so a household with children of 16, 18 and 19 looked like they had three of 20! Some also didn't understand what "rounding up" meant and added five years instead. It all makes genealogy interesting (and frustrating!).

Adrienwillcocks

Post by Adrienwillcocks » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:58 pm

ref author annash: have just noticed your entry of Aug2005. I am probably related. Our name was expressed sometimes as willcock and sometimes as willcocks and in one instance on a marriage certificate my great grandfather allowed is name to be spelt Woolcock on 17th Sept 1862 on his marriage to Melinda Jory which was wrong, as he even signed the certificate Willcock ; this being at St Austell Parish Church. We also had Looe and Pentewan connections. Will look further into it if you can give me more details. From Adrien Philip Willcocks. Email: adrienpwillcocks@hotmail.com.