Windmill, Kernow

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:10 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the history of the Village of Windmill.
My mothers'maiden name is Windmill and we've managed to trace that part of the family back around the Padstow area to about the mid 1200's.
The problem is that the name sounds very English and after lot's of searching we've hit a bit of a dead end.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:27 pm

It's likely to be fairly modern (i.e coined after, say, 1500), and English (Cornish for windmill is: melinwyns). Windmill Farm near the Lizard was name d after the windmill which was built c. 1600 - the tower of which is still there.

I don't have much on the Padstow site, so don't know when the windmill was there.

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Thankyou Marhak.
Through research we also have Winmill and possibly Windhull. There are a large amount of Windmill's in Cornwall with very old family roots in Cornwall so, from your information, I'm guessing that our name may have been changed by an English census/Domesday taker who may have been unable to understand our original name?