Im looking for Crego

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
Npm

Post by Npm » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:20 am

I have been researching my ancestry (I live in the USA, California) and it has lead me to Cornwall! I'm a little stuck though, supposedly I had an ancestor who was born around 1640 in Trony? I can't seem to find any references to a place called Trony. His name was Stephen Crego and his father's name was Eben, but I haven't been able to get any other details about Pop.

Anyone by any chance have any idea what Trony, Cornwall might be? If it is a misspelling, any ideas?

Thanks all!

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:49 am

Hi npm, it could possibly be Tregony which is between Truro and St Austell.

Npm

Post by Npm » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:05 pm

Ah! That might well be it if someone left off the "eg". Thank you so much, I'll see if that helps my searching.

Pcrego

Post by Pcrego » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:08 am

Our immigrant ancestor Stephen Crego [d. 12/7/1690] was likely the Stephen Cregaw son of Stephen and Margery baptized at the Church of St. Just in Roseland 16 Aug 1640.

"Eben" is a name that has lingered for a century as this immigrant ancestor's father. It has been repeated many times, but no one has EVER given a shred of evidence for its origins.

Roy Crego's A Selective History of the Crego Family is a good source for early Cregos.

How far back can you go? I can usually make some connection if you can get back a few generations.

A Harrison Crego is nearing the completion of a large work on the Cregos. I haven't seen it yet.

Paul Crego- Washington, DC

Npm

Post by Npm » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:07 am

Ah! Thanks Paul, I'm very new to all this. I got stuck on Stephen. I will look for Roy Crego's work. I wonder if you know of my Mother, Pauline Crego Milligan? Now my Mom's grandfather was named George Harrison Crego, looks like the name is getting handed down. :p