Englands World Cup Campaign

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:20 pm

The story so far:

After a lucky early own goal, England go on to withstand the pressure from Paraguay and some odd refereeing decisions to scrape through with an unconvincing 1-0 victory.

Beckhams hair looked nice, Owen was rubbish, as was the rest of the team.

Against T&T, 2 late goals secred qualfication into the second round. Owen was rubbish. Rooney came on late on in the game which seemed to give the team a bit more of a creative spark and Lennon impressed. Beckham's hair looked nice.

Last night, against Sweden, J. Cole scored an absolute scorcher of a goal and Gerrad got a second. A. Cole was busy being a bit bonkers when England conceded a late equaliser. Owen fell over and is now set to miss the rest of the tournament. Beckham's hair looked nice.

I do question the idea of bringing 2 unfit strikers to a Coupe de Monde, but now with one crippled the options are looking limited.

Still, Facing Equador in the second round is better than facing Germany, one supposes, and maybe the team will live up to the hype this time.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:28 pm

Errr...why's this in Cornwall Sport?

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:33 pm

a) I wanted to write about the World Cup
b) Isn't it 'Sport', rather than 'Cornwall Sport'
c) It's newsworthy
d) If you don't wish to talk about it, don't reply. Easily done.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:21 pm

I've been unimpressed with him (Walcoot) so far. Somewhat bizarrely, he went to the same secondary school as one of my ex-girlfriends.

J Cole has been very impressive so far, as has Lampard. I remember a few years back, there was a documentary series about footballers (I think ian Ridley of the Observer did it) and Lmpard was on it. he seemed to be quite nice bloke, and quite self deprecating at times. But anyways.

Downing could be an option, though.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:02 pm

Well, Germany seem to get by well by playing uninspiringly.

England have a chance to get to the semis which still makes for good watching. What makes watching exciting is the knowledge that they have great players who can pull it off, but often don't. Then sometimes, they pull a corking performance out of the bag.