WELL DONE PORTUGAL !!!!!

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:49 pm

deleted! :oops:

Patrick

Enzedbrit

Post by Enzedbrit » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:21 pm

"marhak" said:

Sorry about your indoctrinated education that makes you believe that the Cornish are English. How can that be? They are Anglo-Saxon, arriving in Britain from Germany and the Low Countries only in the 5th century AD (not getting anywhere near Cornwall until the 9th or 10th century). We are Celtic and have been here for roughly 6,000 years. Of course, your schoolteachers never taught you that, did they, operating as they do under a "national(ist)" curriculum dictated by London.

Gulp. Four months old and nobody corrected this person's historical knowledge.

The English, as all Britons, are descended from the original inhabitants of these islands. The Angles, Saxons, Jutes and others arrived in small bands from the 5th century, fought battles with the native Romano-British and gained territory. As they expanded their territory, the Britons in the areas that were conquered gradually lost their language. An Anglo-Saxon culture developed in these areas. There were Teutons in Cornwall long before the 9th century. You are confusing your dates with the time that Cornwall was conquered by Wessex. Cumbria wasn't incorporated into England for centuries either but there were Angles living there, whether as slaves or freemen they were there. Are you American by chance? Most people with the "English are Anglo-Saxon immigrants" no-brain argument tend to come from America.

Shame on all of you for being so vehemently against the English football and rugby team for all the wrong reasons.

Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:48 pm

Sorry about your indoctrinated education that makes you believe that the Cornish are English. How can that be? They are Anglo-Saxon, arriving in Britain from Germany and the Low Countries only in the 5th century AD (not getting anywhere near Cornwall until the 9th or 10th century). We are Celtic and have been here for roughly 6,000 years. Of course, your schoolteachers never taught you that, did they, operating as they do under a "national(ist)" curriculum dictated by London

I'm an Englishman; (if they were alive today) tell the above to at least a third of my ancestors - hint, you'll need to learn Gaelic. :lol:

Nos da,

Patrick

Enzedbrit

Post by Enzedbrit » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:23 am

"Ian" said:

I'm willing to bet enzedbrit that if I or other Cornish people on here had said, "Bored today - just Wales v NZ or NZ vs France" you wouldn't have been so quick to respond. I wonder why?

Even if I thought myself English I am not forced to support England, so why get your bloomers in a twist over it - I'm doing it to make a point (which the 'English' ego doesn't seem to comprehend).

Had you been cheering the loss of Wales, I would.

Nobody's forcing you to support England - it's the anyone but England mentality that is disappointing. Or do you just happen to be a big Portugal fan and that's that?

To say all that, and then come out with the nasty snide little 'English ego' comment, doesn't do you any favours.

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:50 pm

deleted

Kenwyn

deleted.

Kenwyn

enzedbrit,
Please don't think that all Cornishmen are like some of those on this forum with their anyone but England mentality. I suggest you log on to the Trelawny's Army Rugby site especially the England v New Zealand thread and you will see a completely different story. When it comes to rugby nearly all Cornish rugby fans support England, after all many Cornishmen have served the English rugby team with pride and passion and two Cornishmen are the proud possessors of World Cup winning medals, namely Phil Vickery and Trevor Woodman.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:44 pm

You are confusing your dates with the time that Cornwall was conquered by Wessex.

Which dates do you see as being confused?

Are you American by chance? Most people with the "English are Anglo-Saxon immigrants" no-brain argument tend to come from America.

Isn't 'Anglo-Saxon immigration into Britain' about the number two story in the school history books in the UK, just after the story of the Romans?

Enzedbrit

Post by Enzedbrit » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:47 pm

"kenwyn" said:
enzedbrit,
Please don't think that all Cornishmen are like some of those on this forum with their anyone but England mentality. I suggest you log on to the Trelawny's Army Rugby site especially the England v New Zealand thread and you will see a completely different story. When it comes to rugby nearly all Cornish rugby fans support England, after all many Cornishmen have served the English rugby team with pride and passion and two Cornishmen are the proud possessors of World Cup winning medals, namely Phil Vickery and Trevor Woodman.

I wouldn't think that at all Kenwyn, fear not. I would never make generalisations about people from any part of our country.

Enzedbrit

Post by Enzedbrit » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:52 pm

"frenchie" said:

Which dates do you see as being confused?

The original poster has said that there were no Anglo-Saxons in Cornwall by a certain date. This is not true. Anglo-Saxons were in Cornwall before Cornwall was conquered and were so in any number of capacities. One cannot say that Cornwall was Teuton free until the 9th century.

Isn't 'Anglo-Saxon immigration into Britain' about the number two story in the school history books in the UK, just after the story of the Romans?

No, but what is your point? Anglo-Saxon migration into Britain doesn't mean that the English are Anglo-Saxons and the Cornish aren't English but are Celts; that the English have roots only to the 5th century and the Cornish are indigenous. Sheer arrogance and a complete distortion of history to suit contemporary political ideals.

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:25 pm

No, but what is your point? Anglo-Saxon migration into Britain doesn't mean that the English are Anglo-Saxons and the Cornish aren't English but are Celts; that the English have roots only to the 5th century and the Cornish are indigenous. Sheer arrogance and a complete distortion of history to suit contemporary political ideals.

Where the hell do you get this c**p enzedbrit. Your ideas on History come streight out of the Book of Fairy Tales. I have to say, I have seen pro English postings from English Folk, and I have no problems with them being so. If I was English I would be pro English too. Alas your very distorted so called History borders on the most stupid I have ever seen. If anyone History is distorted, it is the English version. Your postings I am sorry to say, only make you a laughing stock.