704 and counting ...

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Hen

Post by Hen » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:32 pm

Who knows how many wickets Shane Warne could have had under his belt if he hadn't had a one-year ban imposed upon him as a result of his vanity for taking a diuretic to make him look a bit thinner on the telly.

I have never given this man much time, as he is a bit of a d!ckwad really. But I am certainly impressed with his mind and aptitude for the game of cricket.

Well done Warney. I am glad you could leave on your own terms.

Hen

Post by Hen » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:32 am

And love and kisses to you too darling Stoney.

However, a different thread is more appropriate for your Rugby triumphs if you don't mind.

This is a thread about the career of Shane Warne. I am sure there is more than one or two things in his past that are worthy of you airing your distain for Australians upon, if you really must bring this thread down to that level.

:)

Thanks in advance.

Hen

Post by Hen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:56 am

Shane Warne sends fans wild

December 27, 2006 12:00am
Article from:

SHANE Warne became the first player to take 700 Test wickets, sending a record Boxing Day crowd into wild celebration.

Warne started his MCG swansong in blazing style, bowling England opener Andrew Strauss – the first victim in a haul of 5-39 as England collapsed.

The MCG crowd rose as one to salute its hero as he claimed the magic 700.

The legendary spinner sprinted off, pointing his finger to the sky in celebration, before being mobbed by teammates.

While ex-wife Simone looked on, he held the ball aloft as a chant of "Warnie, Warnie, Warnie" filled the stadium.

Warne was still buzzing about rewriting the record books hours after play finished.

"There's some special days in your life, and that's definitely one of them," he said.

"The birth of your children, getting married, playing your first Test: they're pretty special. But today's got to be one of the best days I've ever had."

Warne said it was extra special to achieve the milestone in front of his family and a huge home crowd in his second-last Test.

"To do it in front of your mum and dad, your brother, your children, and people who have been pretty close to you over a long period of time is wonderful," he said.

"The way it's turned out . . . geez, I've just been sitting there, and I can't stop shaking my head believing it actually happened. It was a pretty amazing day.

"You could feel the intensity of the crowd."

Warne revealed that he'd told teammate Glenn McGrath that Strauss would be his 700th victim.

"McGrath said to me at mid-on, `How are you going to get him out?' and I said, `I'll bowl him through the gate, sweeping.' And that over I bowled him through the gate – but he wasn't sweeping, he was driving.

"When that sort of stuff happens, you know something is going right for you."

Warne said his celebratory dash would have gone further than 20m but for one reason.

"I got knackered and got puffed, so I stopped," he said.

A peeved Strauss said he felt no consolation at being part of history.

"I think there's 699 other guys who have felt pretty bad after getting out to Shane Warne, and I'm no different today," he said.

"It's obviously a great achievement for him and something that will live long in many people's memories, but probably not mine."

With Warne on fire, England capitulated for 159. Australia was 2-48 at stumps.

Only showers and biting winds prevented a record crowd for the 100th Test at Australia's sporting shrine.

At 89,155, it was the biggest Boxing Day crowd in history – just shy of the all-time single day Test crowd of 90,800 at the MCG in the 1960-61 Australia-West Indies clash.

Play started half an hour late at 11am, but it wasn't until 2.55pm that skipper Ricky Ponting gave the anxious crowd what it had been waiting for and threw the ball to Warne.

Camera flashes went off around the massive stadium, a ring of police lined the fence – and even the Channel 9 commentary box got caught up in the excitement.

"Give him out," pleaded Bill Lawry after Strauss edged a ball on to his pads.

Not long after, Warne had his man, sneaking the ball past Strauss's bat to rattle the opener's stumps.

After securing the Ashes urn in Perth, Ponting's men are now aiming to become only the second Australian team – and the first since 1920-21 – to win a series against England 5-0.

Police praised the behaviour of fans: only a small number of spectators were arrested for drunkenness and several others were ejected.

Jeeez. If he gets knackered after a run of 20 metres it makes it even more extraordinary that he ever got as far as he has in the game?

Who ate all the pies? Who ate all the pies?
You did. You did. You fat barstid. You ate all the pies.

Hen

Post by Hen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:03 pm

As a confirmed cricket lover, I sure do wish your brother didn't have to put his hat away yet Diane.

I live for the day that an Ashes Test gets taken to the final day of the final test. Perhaps next time? If the Ozzie players keep announcing their retirement at the end of each days play, the next Ashes test should be a doozey as we won't have the number of known 'brilliant' players and strategists that we currently have.

I never thought I would see the day that I considered bloody Shane Warne as a strategist. But seeing there is nowt but bloody Warney on the sports news these days, I have had to reconsider his contribution to the game.

I have always considered him the number one pillock of the Ozzie side. He still is in my book, BUT ... I'll begrudgingly have to give him his dues towards the game of cricket and the immense number of 'mind games' he plays on the field.

I hear that they are thinking of commerating him at the MCG, his home ground. They will be renaming the Great Southern Stand as the One Night Stand.

Hen

Post by Hen » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:55 pm

It might very well be a hypocriphal story, but I heard that Warney was once asked by a journalist why he was so fat. His response was "Because every time I root your wife, she gives me a biscuit."

:lol: