Whats wrong with surf skis (or kayaks)?

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:33 pm

Hmmm. Never understood the antipathy between boardies and paddlers.

Unless of course its to do with the destructive capacity of inexperienced kayakers.

But then, inexperienced boardies are a nightmare too...

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:16 pm

Don't I know it Shaz!

They seem to warm up if you really can surf though (My partner can really rip. I'm only fair to middling!)

8-)

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:55 pm

My guess Chris, is that there arn't too many hot kayakers down your area! A good surf kayaker can do all of the 3d stuff of a bodyboarder, and rip on a wave too.

The trouble is, that there are far more pants paddlers and they get noticed more.

As for the pain, I am reliably informed that a jolly good mullering is just as bad on a board as it is in a boat!

The best paddlers that I know are Newquay, Bude and South East based though.

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:37 am

Regarding some of your latest surfing photos Chris, in particular the one of "the Boiler" at Meor (Porthmeor). This is named after what's left of the wreck of the Alba off the Island.

The SS Alba ran aground on the rocks of the Island in 1938. The lifeboat was called out and took off all the crew and passengers, but the lifeboat overturned on its way back and some of the Alba's crew drowned trying to save the passengers. Less than a year later On 23 January 1939 the St Ives lifeboat was lost with all bar one of the crew after being launched in a violent gale to the aid of an unknown vessel. The lifeboat capsized north of Clodgy Point and when she righted four men were missing. As the boat drifted she capsized again and another man was lost. She capsized a third time and only Crew Member William Freeman managed to get ashore near Godrevy. So there's a bit of history linked to "the Boiler".

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Please be kind to the hakes. Preferable don't eat too many as the northern hake stock is below the minimum biomass level recommended by ICES although currently harvested sustainably. The Marine Conservation Society suggests that you don't eat hake from the southern hake stock and even eating hake from the northern stock should be bought with caution. There ain't many of us left which is good news for some, but not for others :-D

edited by: porthia1947, Mar 14, 2007 - 12:11 AM

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:00 pm

Been a bit quiet in this thread for a while?!

Nice clean sets of waves coming into Porthmeor Sunday morning and holding up well all day. Great for "doormat/lid/shark biscuit" riders like me that need the rest after struggling to get out the back. I didn't mind at all getting nailed or stuffed. There was a dozen or so plankers (yes plankers or stand-ups) out 6am getting the best of the breaks cause Porthmeor is crap these days at high to near high tide.

Good to see a regular paddle surfer out and about. Tempted to get one myself except that the cost would clear me out.

Anyone else get amped - charged up - stoked - fired at the w/e?

edited by: morgarrow, Aug 06, 2007 - 02:12 PM

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Naah. Missed it. was busy on Saturday, and then come Sunday evening was too b*****ksed. (I dont surf during the day in the summer as its too frustratingly busy roune near me)