Pirates Rugby Club Moving To Truro

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Curnow

Post by Curnow » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:44 am

I'm in full agreement. Dickie said at the meeting that he had tried to identify a ground in Penwith. Even looked at Longrock. But Cornwall County Council said it would be about four years to build the roads!

Dickie funds the Club to the tune of 1.2 million pounds a year. Something he isn't prepared to do just to wallow in Nat 1.

I didn't hear any dissenters at the meeting. Everyone seemed positive.

I will be voting for the Cornish Pirates at the EGM!

Tumbled

Post by Tumbled » Thu May 12, 2005 1:30 pm

Top class rugby will be coming to Truro in September after confirmation that Penzance-Newlyn are re-locating to the city.

The National 1 side - soon to be rebranded as the Cornish Pirates - will be playing their home games at a pitch currently used by Truro RFC's junior section at the top of Kenwyn Hill , where a 6,000 capacity temporary stadium is planned.

Rotherham are due to be the first visitors in September, with relegated Harlequins to come later in the season as well as Exeter and Plymouth Albion.

The news is the latest stage in a plan, announced last month by club president Richard Evans, to try to bring Premiership rugby into the county. And Pirates chief executive David Jenkins said this week that they planned to spend two years at Kenwyn before moving to a purpose- built stadium in the Carrick area.

"Ideally we want to be in our new stadium by September 2007," he said.

He has already held pre-application talks with Carrick Council and Cornwall County Council in preparation for a full planning application which, if all goes well, should be approved by the end of July.

Approval would be followed by some intense work to bring in temporary covered stands and create stepped terracing.

"Carrick have been very supportive and we are working to produce a traffic movement plan which will involve park and ride schemes to get people to the ground, as there will be very limited parking available on the ground."

The club are holding an extraordinary general meeting at St John's Hall , Penzance, on Friday, May 27 (7.30pm), when members will be asked to approve the proposals. (West Briton)

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Thu May 12, 2005 10:02 pm

"Stonefly" said:
I can't help wondering what will happen should the Pirates fail to achieve (or having achieved, maintain) Premiership status. Whatever does happen, I'll be cheering on the Bay next season with renewed fervour!

Sense of community, there, good work keep it up, all.

Curnow

Post by Curnow » Sat May 28, 2005 10:50 am

THE Cornish Pirates are ready to set sail after members of Penzance-Newlyn Rugby Club last night threw their support behind innovative plans laid out by club president Richard Evans.

At a packed St John's Hall in Penzance, Evans' dream of 'awakening the giant' and bringing Premiership rugby to the people of Cornwall moved ever closer with a glowing endorsement from the club's army of supporters.

It is now full steam ahead for our National League One club, who will relocate to a new temporary site at Kenwyn in Truro in time for the start of the new season in September.

As well as the plans to relocate and change the club's name to that of the Cornish Pirates, members also supported the resolution to form Penzance & Newlyn Rugby Limited - a requirement of Premier League Rugby should the Pirates ever get promoted to the top flight; and a final resolution to upgrade all the facilities at the Mennaye Field, which will continue to act as a permanent training base for the Cornish Pirates, as well as a playing home for Mounts Bay and the Pirates mini and junior sections.

Addressing the audience, Evans told members: "Ten years ago I asked you to support me in taking this club into the professional era. At that time there were those who were totally against this move, there are people today that are against this latest move. However, it is my belief that we must try this venture.

"We are on a journey, but it is by no means at an end. We only have one shot at this, but we cannot go away from here and think 'what if' - we must give it a chance. As Del Boy would say 'He who dares wins Rodney'.

Outlining all aspects of the move to Truro, as well as the plans to redevelop the Mennaye, which will continue to act as the club's 'spiritual home', Evans said a bright new future awaits not only the Pirates, but Cornish rugby as a whole.

Evans added: "I am absolutely chuffed to bits that the members of Penzance-Newlyn Rugby Club share the same vision as myself. As I've said many times before, Cornwall deserve a Premiership rugby club and it is our aim to bring that to them."

Tumbled

Post by Tumbled » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:42 pm

New Cornish Pirates website here - (not quite finished yet)

http://www.cornish-pirates.co.uk/

or

http://www.cornish-pirates.co.uk/news_index.htm

Kernow Bys Vyken