Cornish Wrestling - Heavy Weight Championship 2007

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
KingMark

Post by KingMark » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:59 pm

1st September. At Helston as part of the Harvest Fair festivities, Gerry Cawley from St. Columb was crowned Cornish Heavy Weight Wrestling Champion in front of an crowd of over 200 people. Gerry took away the beautiful Trophy and historic Belt (as well as a £50 prize!) after defeating Gareth Beale (Truro) following 2 x 10 minute bouts plus 3 minutes extra time and finally the toss of a coin...

It was the climax to an excellent event organised by Mr Brian Deacon of the Sithney Wrestling Club. As well as the senior competition there were several dozen bouts between younger wrestlers, all now learning the ancient sport.

Srule

Post by Srule » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:05 pm

excellant news king mark, how healthy is the cornish wrestling seen at the moment, is the future bright?
this fight between Cawley and Beale can you tell us more? was it really decided by a coin?
thanks

KingMark

Post by KingMark » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:06 pm

As ever the Cornish Wrestling community seem to shun the limelight! There's no sponsorship or anything like that!! It seems to polarise around a few wrestling clubs at either end of Cornwall. Those involved love it. As I said this event was put on by Sithney Wrestling club (the home of Gundry - one of the best ever wrestlers) and I can only really speak for that club. They have a host of young wrestlers, who are now second generation - the club having originally reformed in the late 70s. Nowadays some combine their training witrh Judo and Karate, but of course traditional rules always apply when wrestling.

It was a toss of the coin, which I suppose is somewhat disappointing - but that's the rules. The two couldn't be separated in normal time!

You can check out more at
http://www.cornishwrestling.co.uk/

Celticwarrior

Post by Celticwarrior » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:41 pm

this is fantastic stuff...im going to look into having a go myself as my grandpa was a Cornish wrestler!