Cornish National Sports Stadium?

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:38 pm

Posting in forum on Trelawney's Army web site:

I think it is good idea for Cornwall to play in Europe and to play more games throughout the year, even if the top players are not available, as this will give more up-and-coming players the chance to wear the coveted Black and Gold shirt. This would create more incentive for younger players.

If we are running the risk of losing the County Championship forever, how about if the CRFU upgrade Redruth's seating and parking, create a professional team, and put them into the big leagues and competitions. This would bring more teams and their supporters to Cornwall, and generate more income for Cornwall and the CRFU. This could only be good for Cornwall as a whole.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:56 am

Maybe you can answer this Andy as I'm not absolutely sure of the rules: In regard to a Cornish team playing "matches against minority nations and major nations in Europe" I suppose the majority of the team in each match would have to have "Cornish credentials" (whatever it's decided these are) and therefore many of the current Cornish Pirates first team players as a team wouldn't be able to represent Cornwall. I suppose if Cornwall was given duel status a nation and/or an English region it wouldn't matter, but I think it would be pointless calling it a national side if Cornwall couldn't find at least 12 or 13 players with strong Cornish ties to make up the team. I’ve nothing against the Pirates being made up of an international side, but I think we all hope that that the stimulation from watching or playing with top class players will mean that we’ll get more local boys (and girls) reaching a high enough level to be selected for the Pirates whether it’s in division one or the premier division, with the spin off that we would have players for a Cornish team good enough to play other national teams. Just a few questions and thoughts anyway.

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:46 pm

Irish nationalism was forged on the anvil of its post-colonial past and, as a result, has always sought to define itself, not on its own terms, but in terms that are oppositional to Britain. It was belligerent and hostile and locked into a history of grievance and terrorism. But global politics, mass communication and marketing have redefined the concept of nationalism internationally, and in Ireland, as in most countries, he contends, people are increasingly getting their sense of identity from low culture, i.e., sport.

The above is from a Sunday Times article a few years ago reviewing a book by Mike Cronin called, "Sport and Nationalism in Ireland - Gaelic Games, Soccer and Irish Identity since 1884 " Is Cornwall using rugby in the same way?

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:10 am

Incidentally on the Cornish Pirates squad at the moment, albeit many of them in the Acadamy side, there are sixteen Cornish born players. The Cornish Pirates are doing their utmost to promote and keep up coming Cornish talent plying their trade here in Cornwall and not decamping to England.

A worthy ambition and one that should be encouraged by all Cornish rugby fans whether their first allegiance is to the Pirates or not.

Nosdan

Post by Nosdan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:14 pm

For picking team members with "Cornish credentials" the same ruling for every national side should be followed, isnt it a Grand parent has to be of that nationality to qualify?

That would expand our Cornish pool by a lot, think of all those expats in the world...Not to mention all those who have moved into England in the last 10 years?

We need to start forming not just Rugby ties with the rest of the world, but all the sports... But for now perhaps Cornwall could set up a
Celtic Nation Cup, a Rugby Championship between "the big six".