Cornish National Sports Stadium?

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Sat May 14, 2005 12:26 am

By the way thanks HP for the article from the Leinster and Munster website. I mentioned it because why shouldn't Cornish teams play in a different league or at least think about it. No one is going to clap them in irons either because I mention it or they think about it. Believe me I know they're not going to do it, but Harvs it's okay to swim against the tide, buck the trend or refuse to be carried along by the wind sometimes. :-)

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Sat May 21, 2005 11:36 pm

Thanks AndyQ for information - I was just thinking ahead a bit - I know people like a day out in London but hate the thought of all that money being spent in the south east which is already pretty well off (talking in general terms of course about being well off) I would rather see the money spent in Cardiff if not Cornwall. I would support the idea of focusing on getting the Pirates into the prem league at the moment (until St Ives takes over in a few years of course).

DavyBoy

Post by DavyBoy » Thu May 26, 2005 11:00 pm

There must be greater acclaim from playing in the English Premiership, rather than a Celtic League which is seemingly shrinking. There seems to be a prejeduce against England on these forums!!! Why side with our Celtic cousins against our English brothers - and yes, by now, i think they have earnt that title.
Because of a Celtic revival in recent years it seems sports must follow the trend, when common sense tells us the future of our rugby must stay on connecting land (without countless miles of sea & air travel!)

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Fri May 27, 2005 1:12 am

In terms of relationships I would put the English down as neighbours like the Germans and French! Your common sense DavyBoy is different to mine.

DavyBoy

Post by DavyBoy » Fri May 27, 2005 4:09 pm

Like the Germans and the French?? Two nations, seperated from us by the sea, and with different languages to one in use by the majority of Cornish people - which happens to be English!
Surely that alone ties in the Cornish and the English and speaks for itself. Just in the same way the US is connected to England, and various South American countries to Spain.
England is not simply a neighbour.

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Sat May 28, 2005 1:12 am

Just a neighbour to me DavyBoy - in fact I have more time for mainland Europeans. The Irish, Welsh, Scot's and Manx I would class as brothers and sisters, the mainland Europeans as cousins and the English like a pompous self opinionated arrogant neighbour (you know the type). Actually individually they're okay - it's just that they are so egocentric as a 'nation' that they deserve to be brought down a peg or two whenever possible.

DavyBoy

Post by DavyBoy » Sat May 28, 2005 11:34 am

It's this kind of negative nation-embracing that gets my goat. We don't seem to have people anymore expressing their views, rather flag waving wan(c)kers.

Face truth, you have more in common with English, rather than mainland Europeans. The fact that you are typing your responses in English confirms this. Just because you are proud of being Cornish doesn't mean you can put the blinkers on and plod along in ignorance.

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Sat May 28, 2005 11:16 pm

I was just about to come in and say sorry davyboy I was just winding you up a bit, but if you're going to use words like that I'll just patronise you instead. Actually I don't wave any flag St Piran's or otherwise - haven't even got a Kernow sticker on my car. I'm really not even proud to be Cornish - I just happen to be born there. I think myself and friends are confident of our nationality not to have to do that. Sorry if I wound you up so much you had to call me a w***er - but it means you've lost the plot a bit. The trouble is that Cornwall has been like a timid little whimpering, docile entity for too long - a don't upset anybody boy attitude which means we get left at the bottom of the pile. The north east who had very little support from the public for regional government gets offered a referendum on a regional assembly while Cornwall which has been asking nicely for recognition as a region/country in line with Wales and Scotland for nearly 50 years was overlooked! Why? Because in political terms we are probably seen by the wise and the good in the bastions of power as little ineffectual cowering animals apart from when flag waving at a ‘county’ rugby match when the bravado suddenly appears. All the best.

DavyBoy

Post by DavyBoy » Sun May 29, 2005 8:53 pm

I didn't direct an insult at you personally, so my apologies. Just the attitude you seemed to be displaying was one of that of an ignorant flag waver. Which, you may possibly agree is an attitude that does little good for general talk. I think its possible to be proud of one's nation without be too critical of its own or anyone elses.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:31 pm

Steviek

Post by Steviek » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:23 pm

Do you think the cornish pirates will want to play second fiddle to 9th rate football (Aghhh) team

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:27 pm

I think I should have left the "sports" out of the suggestion about a Cornish National Sports stadium as it could be just a national stadium of course used for rugby matches or any other sport and of course music concerts or anything where large numbers of people might attend. We wouldn't need anything the size of the Welsh national stadium, but just something to hold more than current venues do and proportionate to the size of Cornwall's population. I just thought that if some of the rugby clubs were planning to have new grounds it might just be worth them thinking laterally as well as ahead.

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:08 pm

I wonder how much was spent on the London olympic bid ? The 'bid' spending alone would most likely build a half decent Cornish National Stadium or maybe two, let alone help feed or educate a large number of people in any one of the African countries for a year.