Rugby World Cup

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:52 pm

As far as the result goes, Justice is done. England should never have got past the group rounds.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 pm

why not? you win you progress

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:57 am

Quite simply Fancy, England were not good enough. In the final Sth Africa played them at their own game and won convincingly, showing that England are not even the best at their own spoiling tactics. In previous Matches England did not win, their oponents lost, there is a difference. IMHO England were not good enough to go into the knockout phase, they got there and really didnt deserve to be.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:20 am

Whatever, sounds more like anti-English sentiment from you again.

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:27 pm

I think the accusations that come thick and fast when people don't support England in any sporting event is as much to do with an innate arrogance and prima dona-ism.

I have never noticed any substantial upsurge or outward support when Scotland or Wales are doing well in anything, coming from English people (or people that think they're English).

I can tell you one thing and that is the jingoism and nationalism from the anglocentric press in regard to England in the Rugby World Cup was frightening to any British person that wasn't altogether behind England and it's becoming more and more noticeably so as time goes on. Sometimes you can understand how minorities felt during the post war years in Germany.

Anybody that thinks 'outside the box' of English nationalism is starting to feel decidedly uneasy. The worrying thing is it's seen as the norm i.e. it's okay to get jingoistic about England and English things, but anyone that doesn't feel they fit into that mould are pigeon holed as being extreme or nationalists or separatists.

edited by: porthia1947, Oct 22, 2007 - 01:29 PM

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:12 pm

Exactly Porthia, and these same anglocentrics think nothing of their attitude towards Teams like Wales, France etc; Anyone who does not support their view is seen as an obect of ridicule. One of the reasons I do not or cannot support England is the untermench attitude of their supporters and the Media. God if England had won yesterday, that is all you would of heard for the next four years. The same as in football, England havent won the World Cup in that since 1966, and they still go on about that as if they won it yesterday. Since I have a critical view of how poor I think England are as a Rugby side I am somehow wrong, yet it is my opinion that England were hardly in the top ten at this tournament. It just goes to show how distorted ones view becomes when Nationalistic loyalies are both stirred up. Yet if Cornish Nationalits say anything they are extremist, we can all see who the REAL extremists are, cant we?