Washdeck/SOT kayakers

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Fri May 13, 2005 7:45 pm

I wondered if there is anyone looking in on this site have a washdeck/sot kayak and use it regularly. Or maybe divers that do both together or who have thought about using a kayak to get to those site that are just to far for a surface swim?

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Thu May 26, 2005 9:21 pm

Everyone to their own troll. There's a luddite in all of us at different times and for different things :-) I surf, dive and use the SOT for both diving, snorkeling, excercise, and coastal water trips. Yes not as speedy as a traditional kayak or as good a surfing platform as a malibu, but they aint got half the versatility of a SOT. But I've got nothing against traditional sit-in kayaks or traditional surf boards - there great in their own way.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:33 pm

Today's image of the day - Navax Point down Godrevy way reminded me of a kayak trip I took a few weeks ago from Portreath west towards Navax Point. Warm sunny day started off about 8.30 in the morning along past Samphire Island below Carvannel Downs, past Bassets Cove, Crane Island below Reskadjeage Downs. Absolutely wonderful to see all these beaches, coves and rocks from a different perspective. I had trouble forcing myself to turn around, but even then I got back to Portreath and right on past, along under Nancekuke Cliffs up to Sally's Bottom ;-) A half-hours rest and refreshment on the sand of a cove rarely visited and then the paddle back. What can beat such a summers day away from the traffic and noise on land.

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:21 pm

I wouldn't have thought that a pigeon could take off from water, because they don't have the webbed feet necessary to push against the water to give them a boost upwards. Nice rescue! :)

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:00 pm

Welshman Pete Bray, 48 will lead three other kayakers on a gruelling 420-mile (676km) circumnavigation of South Georgia in the South Atlantic.

With him will be Nigel Dennis, 50, who runs Anglesey Sea and Surf Centre, Jeff Allen, a 43-year old kayak instructor and guide from Maenporth Beach in Cornwall, and female team member Hadas Feldman, 34, a former Israeli soldier who now works as a kayaking instructor, motivational speaker and photographer.

Pete Bray good man, but is he really a Welshman or from Plymouth or a Cornishman - I've heard him called all three (but not at the same time :-)) in various reports. Maybe being ex SAS he doesn't want anyone to know?

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:09 am

Just heard that Sean Morley who you might remember successfully completed the first solo circumnavigation of the UK and Ireland by sea kayak becoming the first ever to include all of the inhabited islands, a distance of 4500miles in six months has had to call off his next kayak expedition which was to be the First Solo Circumnavigation of Iceland. Sean who's a police officer from Cornwall, was intending to set out in May this year, to do a 1500 mile circumnavigation of the second-largest island in Europe, a journey that would have taken approximately 10 to 12 weeks.

For some reason Sean couldn't get the sponsors and so the money he hoped to raise for charity one of which I think was Shelterbox, ain't going to happen unfortunately. On the UK-Ireland trip he raised £10,000 for the RNLI and the Marine Conservation Society.