Rugby - St Ives

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:30 pm

For a long time I thought it was a shame to see St Ives slip so far back in terms of Cornish rugby since the time they were a major team.

Now I hear there's some rebuilding going on and that John Navin has joined them from Redruth as player/coach with Cornwall coach Joff Rowe as his right hand man. There's also new signings including Evo, Josh 'shango' Stevens, Julian Hoskin a flanker/hooker from Redruth, 4 from Penzance Colts, a Kiwi 2nd row and Ireland u21 international number 8 with more signings to be announced soon.

I would think gone are the days when almost the total line up would have surnames that were not only well known Cornish family names, but truly names you recognised as being those of 'hakes'. I think no doubt because of the large influx of people from areas where the round ball game is prefered, St Ives as elsewhere in Cornwall can no longer rely on purely St Ives born (or or at least St Ives nurtured talent)and the next best thing is to attract good players from elsewhere in Cornwall and a few from elswhere in the world (ie not so much England - it's a different rugby culture ;-). Best of luck to them - I know they can be up there with the likes of the Reds and even the Pirates!