Sharks have more to fear from humans

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:27 am

Recent news media coverage of sightings of potentially dangerous sharks in Cornish waters is music to the ears of newspaper editors and journalists looking for a good, bad or bizarre eye-catching headline. While lifeguards have to err on the side of caution that fact is that sharks have more to fear from humans than the other way around, with thousands being slaughtered each year for their fins alone.

Further info: SPORT forum "Diving dangers and Seasearch"

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:16 am

If they get too close just punch them on the nose - it's very sensitive and they don't like it at all!

You're absolutely right that they have far more to fear from us than we from them, but a headline like "Timid sharks avoid busy beaches - bathers in no danger" doesn't sell newspapers.

On a marginally related subject, I get annoyed by people persecuting magpies for attacking smaller birds' nests, when human activity has done immeasurably more to reduce songbird populations than magpies could ever do.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:29 am

I don't hink there have ben many cases of Mako sharks attacking people

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:17 pm

You've only got to swim faster than the person next to you.

Oh, and:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4144728.stm

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:22 pm

very true Masterclass...... so if you're an average ability swimmer don't swim with an olympic champion. Of course chris_I is more concerned with Weever Fish and possible training Mako's to eat the sweet little spiny creatures.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:06 pm

quote]MCS WARNS: KEEP YOUR DISTANCE FROM GIANT SHARKS!
Recent increases in the sea temperatures around Britain’s southwest and west coasts have resulted in the sudden appearance of Britain’s biggest fish, the basking shark. The Marine Conservation Society (MCS), who run the national Basking Shark Watch project, is concerned about reports that some sea users are getting too close and even harassing the 7-tonne giants. Basking sharks are protected by law in UK waters, and reckless disturbance of these gentle giants is strictly prohibited.[/quote]

On the return leg of a trip from Newlyn to Tater Du light a basker surfaced about 6 metres away and then swam towards me (I moved out the way for the big feller of course) and on into the nearby cove. It was being followed by two rigid inflatable boats. Now they did keep their distance, but occasionally they had to switch on their engines to keep within viewing distance. I'm sure those in the ribs were reasonably responsible, but I question whether they should not have been following it so closely. They could have watched from a distance or even let it get on with what it was doing and cleared off. Sound travels at about 1,500 meters per second in the water (about 4 times faster than in air). In air, a human brain figures out from which direction sounds come from by measuring the time delay of those sounds in reaching our ears. In water, there is much less of a delay, so our brains can’t figure our where sounds are coming from. Not sure how well the basking sharks deal with 'man' made sounds such as outboard engines, but this basking shark didn't hang around long once the two ribs started moving in. Ironically maybe the fact that people are taking an interest in the basking shark and want to catch a glimpse of them means more people will join campaigns and surveys aimed at conserving them, but I just think people should try a bit of self regulation and forgo the temptation to speed out on fast powerful RIBs (or any other fast noisy craft) every time one is spotted.

MCS BASKING SHARK CODE:www.mcsuk.org/basking_sharks/basking_sh ... ark%20code