Cornish invented football

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 pm

Cornish invented football and rugby, or at least the predecessor for these modern games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/society_cu ... t_01.shtml

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:29 pm

Ginsters never made round pasties............

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:59 pm

Talking about pasties and thinking of a link to stupid ideas to test national loyalties (remembering here what was said by the reactionary duffer Norman Tebbit who 15 years ago questioned loyalties of immigrants who continued to support the cricket teams of their countries of origin rather than England" and who more recently said, "if more had been done at that time to integrate immigrants into mainstream UK culture, London may not have been attacked by British-born suicide bombers." ) ...what about giving the pasty test to those wishing to purchase a second home in Cornwall e.g. if they don't know the proper ingredients of a pasty for example they say swede instead of turnip, minced beef instead of skirt and pick up a knife and fork to eat it instead of using their hand they get their second home, but one situated in the "Suuni Triangle" in Iraq or alternatively the West Bank in Palestine. If they get it right they don't get their second home but a years supply of Cornwall's worst pasties [no names no pack drill] that will help them wean themselves off of any idea of ever buying a second home here.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:45 pm

Sorry back on a more serious note - when I was young i.e. much more younger than today (sounds like a good title for a song) we used to call rugby, football. Probably 'cause there was no soccer played to speak of and everyone knew what you meant and I suppose it was shorthand for rugby football. That was down west and I don't know if that was the case elsewhere? Some might say "matter do a?" :-)

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:34 pm

madder f***!

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:01 am

That sounds a bit rude flb ??? Soccer a simple form of rugby for those who don't want their brains to get over-worked so it couldn't have been a Cornish invention.

TGG

Post by TGG » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:06 pm

morgarrow
Posted: Sep 04, 2005 - 10:45 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry back on a more serious note - when I was young i.e. much more younger than today (sounds like a good title for a song) we used to call rugby, football.

That certainly used to be the case also in mid-Cornwall! Soccer was the rare round one and football (aka rugby) the real one! Indication of an imposed cultural change, not only reserved for sport

TGG
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:55 am

I don't know about football....but Cornwall has the current World Champion Ladies Thai Kickboxing Champion (in one of the disciplines)
We live in interesting times!

Hen

Post by Hen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:31 am

Well I know for a fact the Cornish didn't invent AFL.

Here we have football (union and league), AFL and soccer. Some sick buggers even support Grid Iron, but that's a girls game really.