Cornwall to host the 2006 Interceltic Watersports Games

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:05 pm

I notice at the recent Trafalgar celebration in London, competing in the Trafalgar Great River Race were not only Cornish gigs but Celtic Longboats.

What are Celtic Longboats one may ask? I'm not too sure but it seems Welsh farmer Robin Pratt were working on Ramsey Island off St David's Peninsula when he found the remains of an Irish curragh - a wooden-framed tar-skinned rowing boat washed up on the shore.
To cut a long story short, he made a mould of the boat from which the first Pembrokeshire longboat - now called Celtic longboat - was born. The boat inspired the Pembrokeshire Longboat League which, over the last 20 years, has spread northwards along the coast to Cardigan and beyond before uniting with the Ceredigion League to form the 13-club Wales Longboat League Cymru.

I know we have our gigs, but has anyone seen a Celtic Longboat in Cornish waters yet?

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:49 pm

Obviously not - the last longboat I heard of in Cornish waters was the one rowed by our mates who came to join us to kick the a*rse of that land grabbing saxon pirate Ecgberht. Not having a unit of spin doctors like old Eggberk had meant they got a better press that made out we lost.

Triggerlee

Post by Triggerlee » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:40 am

Who do you i contact to find out about sponsoring the cornish surf team clothing...