Cornish Pirates

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:34 pm

What have the following in common?

Darren Dawidiuk, Owen Hambly, Sam Heard, Scot Hobson, Adam Nichols, Sam Parsons, Mike Provis, Mike Rawlings, Gareth Tedstone, Lewis Vinnicombe and Adryan Winnan.

For the benefit of Ian they are in the Cornish Pirates squad and they are all CORNISH born.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:09 pm

this might effect the Pirates, well you never know

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/display ... K=15604083

NO WAY this should be allowed to happen, I think the same thing was tried in Rugby League

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:09 pm

What I meant by my remark about politics Ian is that they should be kept out of sport completely. Too many sporting occasions have, in the past, been ruined by interfering politicians and political ideas. There is no reason that just because we are a Celtic country we have to play in the Celtic league, as long as English rugby is prepared to accept us that is where we should stay. After all Cardiff and Wrexham play in the English football league and Rangers and Celtic from Scotland are desperate to join them.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:16 am

"Playing at home it's important to be strong. We want to make this a tough place to come and play rugby. I'm not really one for all that derby stuff, to me it's just another game. It could be Pirates versus Exeter or Pirates versus Moseley, at the end of the day it's a game of rugby and I want to win every game I play in."

From the Cornish Pirates web site ( http://www.cornish-pirates.com) "Mark Stevens talks with Adrian Winnan"

Well said Adrian even if he might be saying it for different reasons than I would say it!! Yes let's drop the use of the term "derby" until the CPs play another Cornish team or let's just not use the term at all. Apart from the fact that any Cornish person worth their salt wouldn't consider themselves as part of some imaginary/mythical "west country" the term "local derby" has become a bit of a boring cliche used regularly by not very imaginative local press and radio hacks. And before anyone goes on about not bringing politics into sport - it may be subtle but ‘sport’ is high on the political and public policy agenda in most if not all countries across the world, so I make no apologies in linking sport and politics in a Cornish context.

Hurling and Gaelic football was a cultural expression of Irish distinctiveness, and as a political expression of Irish nationalism. It has been argued that the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games affected the political, economic, and social relationships between Catalonia and Spain, and the mutual effects that the Games had on the Catalonian and Spanish identities. It has also been argued that cycle sport developed in the Basque Country, into a mass participation phenomenon in performance and support terms and to account for its transformation into a means of nationalist expression, in opposition to the Spanish State. Then in South Africa during the apartheid era soccer played a major role in anti-apartheid efforts.

As I think George Orwell said, 'Sport is war minus the shooting'. If there was a choice between getting hit by a bullet or a rugby ball I know which one I'd prefer to hit me.

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:11 pm

Apart from the fact that any Cornish person worth their salt wouldn't consider themselves as part of some imaginary/mythical "west country" the term "local derby" has become a bit of a boring cliche used regularly by not very imaginative local press and radio hacks.

Try getting on a train to Plymouth when Plymouth Argyle are playing at home, you will see hundreds of Cornish people wearing green Plymouth Argyle shirts. They alight on the train from Penzance and every station to Plymouth. As they are not a Cornish team presumably these Cornish persons are supporting their nearest West Country team who play in the National league. Me I support the Cornish Pirates and as far as I am concerned a "derby" game is one that is between our closest rivals in the same league namely Plymouth Albion and Exeter. Only when Redruth or Lanson get promoted to ND1 will there be a Cornish derby.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 pm

You're just telling me what I know kenwyn. Those who use the term derby in terms of a Cornish club playing a English county of Devonshire club are using it because they think in terms of the westcountry whatever that means ( to me it's just a convenient made up name just because we happen to be next door to Devonshire). I don't agree or recognise that I live in this mythical westcountry region so I don't agree that the Cornish Pirates playing Plymouth Albion or Exeter Chiefs is a derby game. That's a political statement that I stand by. Anyone is free to use the term derby in a "westcountry" context ie it's a free country and they can be as supine as they wish.

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:41 pm

Don't call me supine morgarrow, a derby to me is just what I said it is, a game between the nearest two teams in the same league which happens to be ND1. At no time have I said it's a westcountry derby.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:18 pm

"kenwyn" said:
Don't call me supine morgarrow, a derby to me is just what I said it is, a game between the nearest two teams in the same league which happens to be ND1. At no time have I said it's a westcountry derby.

Unfortunately 'derby' in this sense is being used because those using it are thinking in terms of Cornwall being part of some westcountry area, region whatever, not because of ND1. I was also disagreeing with what you said in response earlier on about sport and interfering politicians. I don't agree sport can be free of politics (yes party politics but not politics in general).

I think we're just coming from different angles on this. My concern is just that the more terms like the west country and south west region are used by the media and individuals and heard by the public, the more familiar and therefore accepted the term becomes in the eyes of the general Cornish public. This added to other things, for example, BBC South West, Westcountry Television, Devon and Cornwall Police, then makes it easier for those with a south west regional agenda to manipulate the public into accepting their plans for a greater south west region i.e. it has been proven that the more subtle and unobtrusive the “manipulation” the stronger the effect which is why I feel a seemingly benign term such as "west country derby" ain't so benign. Get the mass of the Cornish to accept they're westcountrymen/women and they ain't going to create too much fuss when they loose their control to Plymouth, Exeter, Taunton or Bristol.

You think I'm going over the top on this no doubt, but I think that Cornwall has suffered because for decades it has been seen by those looking in from outside as just a small not very important or influential bit of the westcountry.

I'll shut up now and if necessary move this to the general Cornwall24 forum

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:52 pm

"morgarrow" said:
[quote="kenwyn"]Don't call me supine morgarrow, a derby to me is just what I said it is, a game between the nearest two teams in the same league which happens to be ND1. At no time have I said it's a westcountry derby.

Unfortunately 'derby' in this sense is being used because those using it are thinking in terms of Cornwall being part of some westcountry area, region whatever, not because of ND1. I was also disagreeing with what you said in response earlier on about sport and interfering politicians. I don't agree sport can be free of politics (yes party politics but not politics in general).

I think we're just coming from different angles on this. My concern is just that the more terms like the west country and south west region are used by the media and individuals and heard by the public, the more familiar and therefore accepted the term becomes in the eyes of the general Cornish public. This added to other things, for example, BBC South West, Westcountry Television, Devon and Cornwall Police, then makes it easier for those with a south west regional agenda to manipulate the public into accepting their plans for a greater south west region i.e. it has been proven that the more subtle and unobtrusive the “manipulation” the stronger the effect which is why I feel a seemingly benign term such as "west country derby" ain't so benign. Get the mass of the Cornish to accept they're westcountrymen/women and they ain't going to create too much fuss when they loose their control to Plymouth, Exeter, Taunton or Bristol.

You think I'm going over the top on this no doubt, but I think that Cornwall has suffered because for decades it has been seen by those looking in from outside as just a small not very important or influential bit of the westcountry. So like Adrian Winnan it's best if non of us are for that 'derby thing' particularly when talking about the Devonshire cities of Plymouth and Exeter!

I'll shut up now and if necessary move this to the general Cornwall24 forum :lol:

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:58 pm

From Earth Titan's web site news
.....The Pirates were sunk without a trace the last time they visited the Earth Arena as full-back Errie Claassens crashed over in a 41-7 win.

“They are a highly professional outfit, very well organised and well conditioned,” said Bester.

It is critical that we don’t drop any points at home if we want to be in the mix at the end of the season.”

Rotherham Earth Titans certainly mean to wallop Cornish Pirates today (11 Dec) after loosing to Plymouth Albion last week, which is a pity as it means they've lost that 'over confidence' that could have worked against them. Should be a titanic game!

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:22 pm

Well the Pirates did come out on top - great win 18-24 to put them top of of ND1 table !!