American Football Back in Cornwall The Sharks are here.

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Radar

Post by Radar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:55 am

hey thug life the trials are ongoing mate turn up on sunday at 11 at the newquay sports centre. bring cleats/studs sweats and a will to win! :twisted:

Radar

Post by Radar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Sharks touchdown at Newquay sport centre
By Rob Hartley 08.03.2006

ANYONE THAT witnessed the brutality on display in last month’s Superbowl final in Detroit will know that American football is not for the faint-hearted.
But, that didn’t deter a sizeable crowd of curious locals turning out at the sports centre for the first training session of the Cornish Sharks recently.
The anticipated sign-up and assessment day for Cornwall’s Newquay-based gridiron team also attracted a number of more experienced American players recruited mainly from RAF St Mawgan.
And, as players from both sides of the pond mixed, it became clear that the British emphasis on "taking part" was likely to be given short shrift in this ambitious side.
The most famous maxim in the sport is attributed to successful coach Vince Lombardi, who made no apologies when he declared: "Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing."
And, this is a sentiment that appears to be shared by Cornwall Sharks’ imposing head coach Brian Smallworth. After spending 40 years coaching and playing the sport everywhere from Texas to London, he is clearly excited at the prospect of putting Newquay on the American football map.
"We will be slotting into division two in our first season, but within five years, I am planning to have this team in division one," he said. "We have 10 sponsors already and a full team taking care of areas such as publicity, finances and merchandise.
"There will be a dedicated American football pitch here at Newquay Sports Centre, but in the future I think we will need to expand with stands for people to watch. We may have to talk to Newquay Football Club, or even with the Cornish Pirates."
But, according to coach Smallworth, basing the team in Newquay is key to its development at this early stage.
"American football players like to have a vibrant town to play in, and Newquay also has the sun which will help. Another factor was definitely the proximity of RAF St Mawgan, where we can draw on the pool of American lads with a bit of experience."
One such experienced player is Shawn Deer from Texas, whose career playing American football since he was five is likely to prove invaluable to this fledgling outfit.
"I played a lot back in the states," explained Shawn, "but we only play tag football back on the base."
"It’ll be good to play some full-contact, but I don’t think at first the standard will be as high as at home."
The sharks are already looking forward to their first game at the start of June, which will be in France against the Lille Vikings. But, most of the games will be closer to home in places like Plymouth, Cardiff and Andover.
At the moment, however, the team is still looking to bolster its squad with more local players, and coach Smallworth is appealing for any interested people to come forward and give it a try.
He continued: "We are looking for a squad of around 50 players, whereas at the moment, we have about 30. We are expecting some more players from Plymouth University and RAF St Mawgan, but locals would give the team more of a permanent feel."
But, it’s not only men that can sample the glitz and glamour of this latest stateside import, because the team are putting together a cheerleading squad to provide motivatio n from the sidelines.
And, if any of the players were tempted to downplay the difficulty of this often patronised sport, the girls training routine must have left them with little doubt about the skill level involved.
"This is a tough activity," explained coach Missy Harcus, "so we need energetic people to come and join our team.
Anyone wanting to join the Cornish Sharks or the cheerleading squad should come to the sports centre for 12 noon on Sunday.

rob@newquayvoice.co.uk

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:32 pm

"We will be slotting into division two in our first season, but within five years, I am planning to have this team two divisions higher in division one,"

Isnt that one division higher? Or do the Yanks have a diffrent counting system?

Madmax

Post by Madmax » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:47 pm

I'm a PE teacher, RFU & WRFU qualified rugby coach and have played rugby & cricket to a high level in Cornwall and Wales. I played American Football for the last team to play in Cornwall 10 years ago and i'm happy as a cornishman in a pasty shop to see the Sharks in Cornwall, big 'ta' to the coaches for getting things going!
As for you moaning old gits out there, i've played nearly every sport under the sun (or rain) and American Football is one of the most challenging games i've experienced - so many ways to crush your opponent - some even legally!
If you don't like the game, go and do something fulfilling like watching another snore-draw in soccer, or Englands 'finest' rugby players working on a way to give Webb-Ellis away.

Radar

Post by Radar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:37 pm

thanks for the support guys!!
Mad max why not come play for us mate a lot of the old destroyer crew are training and will be playing again.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:54 pm

No one here gives a damn about England

Bit of a sweeping statement, only the Cornish biggots don't give a damn

Alex1984

Post by Alex1984 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi

Dont suppose there is anyone from down my way who goes up to the sharks??

Im from St.Ives, it would be easier for me to get there then as i would love to come up to a training session!!

Cheers

Renshaw

Post by Renshaw » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:09 am

just my 2p

American Football is an explosive game played anaerobically, the 30 seconds between each play allow a fit player to recover between passages of play so he can explode out of the blocks for the next play. The training focus is one of skill, speed and power. Additionally with unlimited substitutions, relatively fresh players can be kept on the field.

The attraction of American football for me was always the contact, for almost every moment of every play, there are people on the other team that you can hit, admittedly there are rules about how and where, but you still get to knock the snot out of people whether you have the ball or not.

The armour is quite neccessary, my "happy-hat" has numerous gouges and grooves deep into the shell and I have been far more injured playing American Football than I ever have playing Rugby, although the rugby scars are better.

Another major difference is one that seems to catagorise many American sports, the wizened old coach element. In American football, every play on offence is scripted and every defensive play allocates responsabilities to the defending players. This makes for a more tactical game based on thought out strategic decisions rather than the on-field flair of the players.

I believe that American Football is the most complete team sport as every player has to execute their assignments in order for a play to be successful, there are opportunities for personal battles, gratuitous violence and even a role for skinny fast people.

I have taken American Footballers to rugby and vice-versa, the best thing to do is play both before you make a judgement of the game. I believe that American Football is best experienced first-hand from the field of play. Arguing about its merits as a spectator sport is something completely different.

Anfield4ever

Post by Anfield4ever » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:09 am

I've been reading some of your colourful views and ideas on American Football. Personally I think it's healthy to have good, well balanced pros and cons, but I don't know what planet some of you are on. I have seen quotes ranging from the game being "homoerotic" to players having a lower IQ than the numbers on their back. Surely there is nothing more homoerotic than a scrum, I imagine that all the pack have to be "real friendly". As for American football players having a low IQ, all pro players come the the college system and all have degrees. Hmmmm they must be dullards!! All I can say is that all of you who put the sport down, come to Newquay Sports Centre on Sundays from 11.30 onwards and Radar and I and the rest of team will introduce you to this BORING game. :lol: