The Six Nations

Board for discussing anything sports related. Everything from rugby to surfing.
Kattell

Post by Kattell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:14 pm

Absolutely porthia, I agree with you my family still don't really understand but my pecking order is:

Cornwall
Any other Celtic nation
Anyone else
Still anyone else
England

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:07 pm

Porthia and Kattel,
How sad that you are so embittered for some reason to choose any other nation over England. When you think of the Cornishmen who give their all in the England shirt, Vickery, Woodman, Voyce, Barclay et al. I am proud to be Cornish but, for reasons of my own, I had to work and live in England for some time before returning to my beloved Cornwall and I can assure you the English people are not ogres and I enjoyed my stay among them. If Cornwall were in the6N I would support them before England but not otherwise, I will cheer the Cornish players who play for England before any other nation.

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi Kenwynn
I'm not sad or embittered FYI and I don't think that all English people are ogres (where did you get that idea from?) I choose not to support them and to support any other nation over them because I find them (sports wise) arrogant, aggressive and overbearing. If I have to endure another summer of English flags being waved at me I think I might scream. England is not my nation so therefore I can choose to support anyone else thanks.

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:34 pm

Who waves English flags at you in Cornwall Kattell? As I said I support Cornwall above all others but as we don't have a team in the 6N I will support England because of the Cornishmen who play for them.

How many Cornishmen play for any other nation? I still think it sad that you would support the likes of South Africa or Australia over England. And by the way it's not the average English supporter who is arrogant it's the media. Strangely enough if Cornwall were represented as a nation in any sport against anyone other than England that same media would be supporting Cornwall. Why is it so hard for you to reciprocate??

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:49 pm

Who waves English flags at you in Cornwall Kattell?

It feels like it's everyone! On cars, in shops, hanging out of bedroom windows it's overwhelming.....I can't believe you haven't noticed!

And by the way it's not the average English supporter who is arrogant it's the media.

It's mostly the (English run) media of course, who are dreadfully biased and I don't believe they would support Kernow if circumstances were different. Maybe the average England supporter who is actually Cornish isn't arrogant but the average English England supporter appears to be...Have you seen the anti Cornish bile on the BBC messageboard?

I agree we should support our players who are in other teams as they have no choice but I'm afraid I can't bring myself to do that if the team is England.

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:00 pm

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree Kattell. Actually I have not seen that many English flags in deepest Penwith, maybe they are further up near the Tamar?

I too read and occasionally post on the BBC English rugby message board and have not, in all honestly, seen any anti Cornish posts as most of the posts on there are either GP or International based, ND1 and below rugby gets barely a mention.

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:29 pm

Being Cornish and thinking you're English.

Ian don't be so patonisingly insulting! I know what I am and I'm proud of it but being so does not make me a one eyed Celt who dislikes the English and everything about them. I'll leave that to the people with closed minds!!

Genesik

Post by Genesik » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:41 pm

You can only assume that a Cornish person who would support England over Cymru has little or no knowledge of the history of these three nations. Would these Cornish England supporters expect a Tibetan to support China? ( before anyone takes issue with this comparison, the fact is that the two situations have remarkable similarities). Also, as Kattell said, I am not English, England is not my nation and I can support anyone I choose over them.
Kernow
Cymru
Scotland Ireland
Australia
Not that bothered after that.

Genesik

Post by Genesik » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:50 pm

Obviously,when I say not bothered, I mean not bothered as long as it's not England.