Emmets

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:01 pm

For no other sinister reason than reasons of patriotism I'd like a Non Emmet sticker for my car, the last one went with the old model.....doh

Anyone no where I can buy one?

I now live in Bournemouth though come home frequently to visit friends surf etc but last week goofed forgetting it was the works fortnight shutdown for those wonderful lemming like Emmets and wished I'd waited a coiuple more weeks.

Please help me find a sticker.......

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:08 pm

Move back home then you will not need to travel far!

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am

Well said Diane.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:55 pm

Better to get a Kernow sticker and be proud of being Cornish.

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:16 pm

Although calling visitors emmetts is rather childish and it's about time the " locals" got a life, and begin to treat visitors, spending money in their area, with a little respect.

It's difficult to see past it when you're confronted with arrogant semi naked yobs leaning over the meat counter when you're trying to do your weekly shop in the local supermarket. Sometimes it's impossible to see where the emmet stops and the chicken thighs begin........

As for them spending money.....why shoud I give them respect for that? Neither I nor anyone I know benefits from tourism in fact for me the negative aspects of tourism are overwhelming every time I step outside of my house every summer, it takes longer to get to work, to do my shopping, to post anything at the post office, to see the doctor.....and forget trying to get any money out of the cashpoint....arrrrggggghhhh

:x :x :x

Of course Diane sees none of this as she doesn't live here, but she feels qualified to tell us to get a life.....thanks.

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:10 pm

As you might have guessed it's the 1st of August and it's been a very long day....gav dhymm pur skwith ov vy!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:23 pm

If Devonians can call their holidaymakers "grockles", without anyone turning a hair, why can't we call them "emmets"?

Someone who shall be nameless once called them "emmeroids", 'cos there were piles of 'em and they're a pain in the arse.

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:13 pm

if they didn't come, there would be less jobs and less venues for us all to enjoy.
If it's so bad for you, move away

Great......first she tells me to get a life, then she tells me to move away from my homeland and family!

Well that might be OK for you Diane, but my heart is firmly in Kernow thanks.
.....I'd rather spend my summers being rude to emmets than move away.

As for the venues, most here are for the tourists only so the locals get no benefit at all and the jobs lost would be low paid seasonal work....I'd take my chances and axe tourism if I had the choice.

(BTW thats fewer jobs and fewer venues)

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Diane, the locals of every tourism area have their own phrase for the holidaymakers they get. Devon's is "grockle" (meaning, anybody?). Ours is "emmets" - an English word, in fact, meaning nothing more than "ants", because they stream down our roads and streets like ants on the march, or gather in huge crowds on our beaches like an ants nest. Other areas of the UK (and probably abroad, too, may have nicknames far worse in meaning than that. Nobody minds. So why do we, the Cornish, get criticised? (And, by the way - I recently pulled up an emmet youth who was openly sneering at his hosts and calling them "yokels". I suppose his behaviour was OK.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:43 pm

We are generally only openly rude to tourists AFTER they're rude to us. Usually, we're a welcoming lot, even if we don't feel like it inside.

We get some really ignorant and bloody rude people. "Cornwall's crap, the Cornish are straw-chewing shit-kickers, etc., etc." My answer is always the same - "The Tamar Bridge is that way, and we're not stopping you from going back over it." It only tends to happen during the silly six weeks that we're now in the middle of, and this is when we get the real wasters. You only have to see the sheer amount of discarded rubbish littering our road verges to see what type of people come during that period (OK, we have our dirty buggers, too, but the huge increase in volume of litter happens literally overnight on that first weekend and continues through the 6 weeks). A completely different type of tourist comes here outside those six weeks. They generally appreciate the place and the people, they're genuinely interested AND they spend money. They're the ones we want all year round but they're also not daft. They avoid coming here during the silly six.