Emmets

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Yes, we do sometimes go away on holiday, but we cause far less trouble and tend not to spread our litter about. AND we are respectful to our hosts, whoever they may be.

Why can't a sizeable faction of English visitors to Cornwall behave as we generally do?

Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:27 pm

Had my breakfast ruined today... as a treat I visited a small old fashioned café in Hayle, and was enjoying the luxury of being waited on and having cooked brekkie and a mug of tea for £4 odd.
Holidaymakers who had finished their meal disturbed my pleasure when the 'lady' of the group tore into the staff about "what a lot of sh1t" it was and proceded to detail faults in food and service. I regularly hear stories about the rude and nasty tourists from staff in the local supermarket, but this was the first time I experienced it first hand.

An unpleasant way to start the day! Just afterwards I heard a 'severe weather warning' for heavy rain in Cornwall. The complaining 'lady' wasn't wearing a coat. Good. :lol:
We live in interesting times!

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:37 pm

When I used to work at a railway station selling coffee, tea and the like I often recieved a lot of abuse about most things (although, to be fair, the food WAS terrible, and the coffee WAS awful).

In the end it got quite funny,as I took great delight in asking the person if I was really the right person to be talking to, as regards the pricing structure and quality of the produce, given it was 7-30am on a Sunday morning.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:44 pm

If they don't like it here just show them a road map back to the Tamar.

Blue

Post by Blue » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:46 pm

to think I was only originally asking where I might get a non emmet sticker but now I have a solution. First put a checkpoint at the top of the A30 and ask visitors do they come from north of plymouth, if yes charge a monumental entry fee. If they come from London, Midlands or the North double it. Secondly fuel the rumours of Makos, Tiger and Great Whites coming near to the shore for some nose bag pointing out their preference for pink and or white flesh.....sorted! I'm lucky that most of my routes eminate in and around Porthtowan which has less appeal for the visitors as there is a lack of facilities for them to abuse.

I'm also suspicious of Diane....is she an Emmet?

Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:54 pm

Blue, look under the 'posters' name and you often get a location. Diane is from New South Wales, Australia, but may well originate from Cornwall, depends on your definition of emmet I spose!

Graham.
We live in interesting times!

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:13 pm

Holidaymakers who had finished their meal disturbed my pleasure when the 'lady' of the group tore into the staff about "what a lot of sh1t" it was and proceded to detail faults in food and service. I regularly hear stories about the rude and nasty tourists from staff in the local supermarket, but this was the first time I experienced it first hand

In circumstances such as these you would have been well within your rights to have gone up to the said lady and polite asked her to FU*K OFF somewhere else and take your ugly kids with you. And then continued with your meal

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:14 pm

First put a checkpoint at the top of the A30

You could put this at the site they already have for the bucket that emmets place their brains in to upon entering Cornwall.

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:50 pm

Fancy, is that you being Racist by any chance?
I do agree that these 'people' should be asked to leave. Bad manners is not acceptable from anyone. I find generally that the vast majority of people 'no matter where they come from' are just nice ordinary folk. I do however find that English People are more well known for their rudeness than many others. Note: I am not saying they all are. Is it that they think they are better than anyone else. I mean when they go abroad they expect everyone to speak English. How do they see the British in general. I know that in North America, they see the British as being dirty. In Europe they see Holigans, bad manners and arrogance.
What worries me most is that I percieve the State and Media to condone it. Why is it that such bad behaviour is not punished better than what it is? One of the troubles is that the Children get no direction from their Parents. I have heard from Holidaymakers in Truro as I was growing up, things like 'bloody kids' and then them behave even worse. I mean what hope is there.

Blue

Post by Blue » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Thing is Angofbew the same twats that flip around abroad and get us the bad rep that we clearly have in lotsa European and Mediteranean places have the dreaded Emmet gene, so you're right what hope is there....still think shark bait.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Let's not have a good and well deserved moan about bloody rude visitors becoming a target for "racism" accusations. Bloody rude, ignorant and inconsiderate people deserve all they get.

Some of those who turn up in our local snap their fingers, address the landlord as "barman", with not a please or thank you in sight. The ones that really get up my nose are the "parents" who let their little shrieking brats run about the bloody pub as if it was a playground. They're incapable of keeping the little sods under control and couldn't care less about those who (like me) only went in there for a quiet pint. They know how the little buggers behave before they even enter the pub, so can I suggest that they don't even bother bringing them in.

Just to balance things up, there are some whose kids are beautifully behaved, so what's wrong the other type of "parent".

For me, kids are best casseroled or roasted on a slow spit over an open fire. Some of the so-called parents ought to go on the menu as well, but I suspect they'd be a bit stringy.

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Marhak, do you suggest any sauce with that? what about other serving suggestions. :-)