Emmets

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Fancy, is that you being Racist by any chance?

how exactly was I being racist? the nationality of said twat was never mentioned, they could have been Cornish. I couldn't care if they're brown, black, yellow, green, English, Cornish, or from chuffing Penzance, if they're rude and obnoxious they're rude and obnoxious. So to answer you’re question no I wasn’t being racist.

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:21 pm

You could put this at the site they already have for the bucket that emmets place their brains in to upon entering Cornwall.

It was only a lighthearted comment Fancy, don't get teasy. Just saw a chance to get my own back a little.
:-)

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:41 pm

angobew - let me experiment a bit, then I'll let you know. Yum!

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:29 am

Diane wrote
But you are an emmett, you don't live in Cornwall anymore.

Getting confused Diane?

So what is your definition of emmet then?

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:49 am

Whatever definition people use.... large numbers of 'visitors' in our towns and on our main roads cause local people frustration and annoyance. A 'necessary evil' I suppose, and they would probably still come even if our tourist industry DIDN't encourage them.

Fortunately, the worst part of the year is comparatively short, and at the end and beginning of the main season, the older type of 'visitor' seem to be rather pleasant.

Is part of the problem that we still attract too many of the 'low end of the market'?
We live in interesting times!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:39 am

Yes, we do exactly that, Coady. I've never understood why so much public money is spent by our local authorities and tourism departments promoting the area to those who are coming anyway. (I've said all this before on another thread). We know that, especially during the silly six weeks, we get people who couldn't care less whether this is Kernow or Clacton, do not treat the place or its people with respect and spend very little money.

On the other hand, we now have World Heritage Site status in the bag. 6 million people of Cornish descent live around the world - mostly in affluent places like California and South Australia. That's who our tourism bodies should be advertising Cornwall to. Bring 'em home - let them see for themselves where great-great-grandpappy worked, even the cottage where he lived (many of those will still be there). What's more, they will respect the land and its people - after all, it's part of them.

Phoneman

Post by Phoneman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:45 am

As an "emmett" who has recently moved here in the Liskeard area I must say I can see both points of view.
As is always the case the minority that cause the problems are the ones who most people remember.
The same can be said of "British" holidaymakers who make lasting impressions on Greek, Spanish and French locals.
I must also say that after going out for an evening in Looe in early Spring I was pretty disgusted with the antics of a "minority of locals".
It is not just a problem with "up country" folk but a nationwide lowering of standards and morals.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:12 pm

agree with you phoneman. We've had quite a bit of trouble in Polperro of late and its all locals. Scum is scum in my book whether you're Cornish, English, or whatever. No one has the monopoly on pikies

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Phoneman, good stuff. I like to listen to the views of visitors and newcomers, as they see Cornwall with fresh eyes, warts and all.

We know our LOCAL riff-raff, and sort of 'work aroud them' and the cops have them more or less figured out. With bad visitors though, they are a bit of an unknown quantity and can catch us on the hop!

Graham.
We live in interesting times!

Phoneman

Post by Phoneman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 pm

Thanks Coady and Fancyabrew......We are both loving it down here and are glad we decided to make the move.
We have been welcomed by everyone we have met and love the relaxed life-style. As for Cornwall itself I have to keep pinching myself to make sure I am really here....I don't think there is anywhere else in the country that has so many beautiful places to visit in such a small area.

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:47 pm

I don't think there is anywhere else in the country that has so many beautiful places to visit in such a small area.

Which country would that be then? :wink: :)

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:44 pm

Which country would that be then?

Great Britain or the UK, take your pick.

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Kenwyn both Great Britain and the UK are names for a multi-National State and not a Country. They are made up of the Countries of England, Scotland, Wales, the North of Ireland, Isle of Mann and Cornwall, plus the various Channel Islands. So please before you make a remark make sure your facts are right.