Emmets

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Kenwyn both Great Britain and the UK are names for a multi-National State and not a Country. They are made up of the Countries of England, Scotland, Wales, the North of Ireland, Isle of Mann and Cornwall, plus the various Channel Islands. So please before you make a remark make sure your facts are right.

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:29 pm

Oh Angof you naughty rascal. You know full well all the above EXCEPT Cornwall are universally accepted as Countries, but that Cornwall's status is disputed! :wink:
We live in interesting times!

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Kenwyn both Great Britain and the UK are names for a multi-National State and not a Country. They are made up of the Countries of England, Scotland, Wales, the North of Ireland, Isle of Mann and Cornwall, plus the various Channel Islands. So please before you make a remark make sure your facts are right.

My the fishing is good around here today! I knew full well what Katell meant and I also know the facts as angogbrew has stated so I was being somewhat facetious. However people do say things when asked about their favourite places in the country "Oh I love the Highlands or Pembrokeshire is lovely or Sark is peaceful and quiet". They don't stop to actually think what State, they actually automatically think of Britain as a whole. It may be factually wrong but sometimes one can be too pedantic.

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Cornwall position is never in doubt as far as i am concerned. Country ......period

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:02 pm

Well, I think we had guessed that, Angofbew....

...and Kenwyn...on this site it seems you can NEVER be TOO pedantic :lol:

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:13 pm

lol at Coady

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:54 pm

Well now, we have it from Sir George Harrison (not a Beatle, but Attorney General to the Duchy 1855-59) Cornwall is a Palatine Duchy.

We have it from Lord Elwyn Jones (Lord Cghancellor) 1977 - Cornwall's right to its own parliament with powers of veto over acts and statutes of Westminster confirmed as still fully valid at law.

And Lord Kilbrandon 1972 - Cornwall to be referred to as a Duchy not a county. He also raised the point about the legality "county" status being foisted upon us in the late 1880s (1889 if my memory serves me well) being arguable.

For me, no doubt at all - small as we may be - NATION

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 pm

Right...I've had a look at what a Duchy palatine is... and understand. Apparently, though Cornwall's status in this respect is STILL questioned. Sir George's opinion seems not to have been binding! http://www.answers.com/topic/county-palatine

I hear what you say, but BELIEVING something to be so, and STATING that something is so, does not necessarily MAKE it so.

Honestly, I know you chaps and chappesses are intense about this, but isn't there some way the status of Cornwall could be pursued through the courts?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:21 am

Watch this sp[ace, Coady. A case has been accepted by the European Court which, if successful, will make a hell of a difference. At present, I can't give much more detail than that.

Coady

Post by Coady » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:43 am

Good, it would be great if the whole mess could be sorted out!

I wonder though, as some with the most deeply entrenched views on Cornwall almost automatically reject any past decisions of the English Establishment, will they embrace the findings of a European Court if it goes against what they hold dear?

I am undecided on it all at the moment. I already FEEL that Cornwall is a 'separate place' whatever anyone's laws say, but to have a clear ruling that can be accepted by at least a majority of people would give a sounder basis to work from.

Graham.

Tam

Post by Tam » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:20 pm

I have to agree with marhak they are a pain they moan about cornwall but as soon as the sun comes out they are here,and going shopping when they are down is a nightmare.and as for the A30 say no more.Emmets are a pain,get a paddling pool and stay home,the cornish pasties and icecream are for the people that live here.lol

Coady

Post by Coady » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:01 am

Not much longer now.........soon have the place back to ourselves.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:09 am

Further to the courts business, we could use that route to establish Cornwall's true status and rights if:
1. We had the money to do it - and that's always been a big problem (the law only works if you can afford it)
2. English courts will be English biased.

The European case I mentioned will take time, but its entry has been accepted. If successful, it will create huge waves and we will hold the upper hand for once.

Coady

Post by Coady » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:18 am

Marhak, don't you have to 'exhaust all processes' in domestic courts before you go to Europe with a case?