Emmets

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:29 pm

In general, Graham, yes. However, one cannot challenge the Duchy in English courts, nor ask questions about it in the House of Commons, etc., so there is only one course open. Europe has accepted this, and the case.

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:21 pm

Emmets wouldn't be such a pain if you could actually see tangible benefits to them coming.

From how I see it, they clog up the roads so you cant get out to enjoy the fab place that Cornwall is (and when the kids are on holidays you dont want to sit at home hostage to trafic queues do you?). You cant park at the beaches unless you get there crazily early, and then usually you have to pay well over the odds because car park owners are making a buck while they can. However emmets can provide amusement watching them when you're crammed onto the beach like sardines.

I worked in the tourist industry for several years, before being heartily sick of the winter unemployment, appalling hours, and hoteliers and the like being run on such a shoestring that they think they own you because they pay you a pittance. Actually, even the 'posh' places payed pants because they could get away with it.

I've noticed in Newquay that a lot of the people working in tourism seem to be from out of county, and go home over the winter, so its not even about local jobs.

Then there's the fruitcakes that think that Cornwall is such a lovely place that they buy a little of it for thier two weeks a year ... and perhaps a couple of weekends.

Oh dear, I'm ranting! Think it's seasonally affected dissorder!

Hen

Post by Hen » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:51 pm

There is a tangible benefit for having emmets in Cornwall in your rant about them joanie.

Car park operators are making a mint on the premium they make parking. (Granted it isn't *much* of a benefit unless you are a car park operator, but I am sure that car park operators love them.)

Pastymaniac

Post by Pastymaniac » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:21 am

"Emmets wouldn't be such a pain if you could actually see tangible benefits to them coming ... I worked in the tourist industry for several years"

Well, if it hadn't been for the emmets you wouldn't have had a job all those years. I'd say that's a pretty tangible benefit, wouldn't you?

I know there's down sides, but to say there are NO benefits to emmets is taking it a BIT far - IMHO.

Rich
http://www.thepasty.com

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:06 am

Many of our pubs can only stay open all year round 'cos of the cash they build up from trippers during the season. Having decent pubs to go to is 'tangible' for me.

I agree to an extent, though....... Does Cornwall as a whole get ENOUGH benefit from the tourism trade to make up for the summer disruption?
We live in interesting times!

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:20 am

Does Cornwall as a whole get ENOUGH benefit from the tourism trade to make up for the summer disruption?

That depends on who you are in Cornwall.

If you have business interests that benefit from tourism then the answer is probably yes.

If you are an ordinary local trying to go about your everyday life such as getting to work, going shopping (where's all the bread gone?), getting an appointment at the doctors, queueing at the post office etc etc then I'd say the answer would be a very firm NO.

Emmet_Guy

Post by Emmet_Guy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:34 am

Hmm... that's a very narrow view. Although you don't immediately see it in your pocket unless you work in the tourist trade (and at least 1 in 5 local people do), their money does float around the local economy, and get passed on. Local business would be doing even less well, just because there would be less money *about*.

Plus, you'd have far less pubs and restaurants and things like that - certainly less independent ones. Bear in mind the actual population here is very small, and very spread out. In most parts of the UK, a similar head of population would support maybe the number of pubs and restaurants in Penzance. Elsewhere, very few towns of, say, 20,000 people have more than, say, two (bad) restaurants and three (chain) pubs (at the most). It would be naive to say that we're different to that for any reason than the tourists. In fact, we're *poorer* than elsewhere, so would probably support *fewer* such establishments.

The same really applies to any kind of leisure facility.

I would say the issue isn't whether or not to attract tourists, but which tourists to attract. Some will spend more and be less hassle than others.

(I've got to say I'm confused by this thread, though. I've always thought that Emmets aren't tourists but incomers like me... Or doesn't it matter? Foreign is foreign I suppose?! ;) )

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Amongst all the mud slinging and anti English rants in this thread the following gem has been ignored.

On the other hand, we now have World Heritage Site status in the bag. 6 million people of Cornish descent live around the world - mostly in affluent places like California and South Australia. That's who our tourism bodies should be advertising Cornwall to. Bring 'em home - let them see for themselves where great-great-grandpappy worked, even the cottage where he lived (many of those will still be there). What's more, they will respect the land and its people - after all, it's part of them.

Wales advertises like crazy in the USA but most of the people of Cornish descent I know in the USA have no idea how to get home, what its like, where to stay or anything.

Homeruleforcornwall

Post by Homeruleforcornwall » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:59 pm

I think Emmet Guy's got the right idea. Already, South Hams District Council in D*v*n is trying to promote themselves as an up-market tourist area, so you don't get all the oiks coming down from the north and midlands with their kiss me quick hats, knotted hankies over their heads, rolled up trousers and so forth.

The idea is that you get a better class of tourist, although less visitors because the area's so upmarket and expensive it puts the lower classes off.

It's really exciting. All you have to do is encourage people to open expensive eating places where baked beans on toast cost £4.50 a throw, or marinas where they can park their yachts, or, I don't know, some big environmental attraction which will appeal to the 'green' tourism market, or.....

Damn.

Kernow_boy

Post by Kernow_boy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:32 pm

it would be a good thing to consider would be the different types of tourism, like environmental tourism and cultural tourism, rather then the "I’m gonna drink ten pints of lager and throw up on your beach tourism.
although i have to say that the "up-market" tourists haven't exactly done any favours to Rock and Polzeath where this summer the only aparent difference seems to have been drinking ten pints of pimms instead.

Homeruleforcornwall

Post by Homeruleforcornwall » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:11 pm

Sorry, Kernow boy. That last post of mine was kind of a joke, although obviously a pretty poor one.

Fact is, you in Cornwall need a proper economy like the tin mining and clay industries, which doesn't rely on tourism.

Sad to say, I think Devon's starting to catch you up. Another 30 job losses announced today at Gleasons in Plymouth.

We'll all be selling kiss me quick hats at this rate.

Stay off the Pimms, man. One pint would kill you, let alone ten.

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:57 am

Does up market tourism bring up market wages for the people serving the £4.50 beans on toast?

Emmet_Guy

Post by Emmet_Guy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:53 pm

In theory. And for the people who do marketing for those places, and for the bean suppliers, and for the toaster repairmen... ;)