Emmets

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:01 pm

Half a jug of Pimms, a few tins of lager and a bike ride later, I was in A&E having gravel picked out of my face and my chin being sewn back together. Cracking night that was.

Emmet_Guy

Post by Emmet_Guy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:42 am

Do you now have a rugged, hollywood-stylie chin dimple?

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:20 am

The up markert tourism thing doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. It's still the same stress on the infrastructure (hospitals,water, roads etc) and far from providing extra facilities for locals does just the opposite IMO. St Ives is a prime example. Plenty of paces where you can get a ciabatta with grilled goats cheese and a red onion marmalade for a fiver but nowhere to get a cheap breakfast fry up and a mug of tea.

Emmet_Guy

Post by Emmet_Guy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:17 pm

That's not just Cornwall, though. That change has happened EVERYWHERE.

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:03 pm

So what? Are we supposed to do nothing or not complain because it's happening elsewhere as well? :? I never understand the relevance of that argument. And to say it's happened everywhere is clearly not true. I was in the outskirts of Birmingham a few weeks ago - still plenty of places to get cheap, hot food. We were in Builth Wells in April - still plenty of good, affordable 'normal' food. St Ives is changing to suit the people it thinks want to come here. If they truly wanted upmarket sncaks and concrete fronted cafe bars surely they'd save their money and stay in Battersea (pronounced batturseeyah) People come to Kernow because it's different to London - or it used to be. St Ives is just Stoke Newington by the Sea now.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:35 pm

Do you now have a rugged, hollywood-stylie chin dimple?

Sadly, no, just a 2 inch scar. It's most visible when I'm unshaven for a few days (most days then).

Leck

Post by Leck » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:40 pm

"marhak" said:
Diane, the locals of every tourism area have their own phrase for the holidaymakers they get. Devon's is "grockle" (meaning, anybody?). Ours is "emmets" - an English word, in fact, meaning nothing more than "ants", because they stream down our roads and streets like ants on the march, or gather in huge crowds on our beaches like an ants nest. Other areas of the UK (and probably abroad, too, may have nicknames far worse in meaning than that. Nobody minds. So why do we, the Cornish, get criticised? (And, by the way - I recently pulled up an emmet youth who was openly sneering at his hosts and calling them "yokels". I suppose his behaviour was OK.

Goodness! A rational person who speaks sense. As a Cornonian or Devishman I remember when the terms Emmets and Grockles were friendly terms expressed in a light way. If these terms are now used in a differently perhaps they have been influenced by the behaviour of some vistors. It is difficult not to generalise when drunken visiting yobs set fire to your car in Looe and break off wing mirrors and kick in doors in Torquay.