Trigg Major/Minor

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Fatboy

Post by Fatboy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:00 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the origins of the Hundred of Trigg and the Deaneries of Trigg. (or maybe direct me to someone who might know)

I noticed them while holidaying in Corwall recently (by the way that's a beautiful part of the world you got there)

Cheers,
Patrick Trigg (Australia)

Hen

Post by Hen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:47 am

This probably won't answer your query entirely, but I thought it was very interesting in any case.

Theory Three - Cornish, and the most plausible

'Trigg' first appears as a place-name in the 9th century and King Alfred (d. 901) mentions it in his will - "Straetneat [Stratton] in triconscire [Triggshire]". Triggshire was the personal property of the Saxon kings of Wessex. As mentioned in Theory One, this land district called Trigg Hundred presently consists of 12 parishes and is located in northeast Cornwall. It is one of nine Hundreds in the county. However, the district originally encompassed the whole area from the Devon County border to the Camel estuary north of the Bodmin Moors. The area was subdivided, probably sometime in the 12th century, into three hundreds: Trigg, Lesnowth and Stratton. Trigg Hundred became just the westerly section of the old district. The Old English suffix 'scir', meaning 'district' 'shire', was added to the names in records up to the 15th century, but was generally dropped afterwards. For those King Arthur fans, Castle Tintagel, the legendary birthplace of the fabled king, was located in the old boundaries of Trigg Hundred!

For church purposes, Cornwall parishes are grouped under eight deaneries, of which two are Trigg Major and Trigg Minor. They covered the whole area of the old Trigg Hundred - Trigg Minor including the present Trigg Hundred and part of Lesnowth Hundred, and Trigg Major the rest of Lesnowth and Stratton Hundred.

But, where did 'Trigg' come from though? For those really into it, you may have noticed that Cornwall is bespattered with place-names and surnames with the prefix "tre-", but according to the experts, our name does not come from that. I found several Cornish words in my research: 'trigg' means 'an inhabitant'; 'trig' means 'ebb-tide'; and 'trygva' means 'dwelling place'. However, apparently the Trigg Hundred place-name descended from an old tribal name 'tricurium' meaning 'those with three armies' or 'district or tribe supplying three armies'. 'tri-' meaning 'three' and '-cur-' from the Old Cornish 'cor' meaning 'clan, tribe, family, army'. Interestingly, this echoes how the old district of Trigg hundred was later split into three parts! As Padel states, "a confirmation of the ancient status of the north Cornish hundreds as a single unit subdivided into three parts." In the seventh-century Life of Samson is the following 'pagum quem tricurium vocant' which would essentially mean 'greater triggshire'.

Perhaps our family took on the surname of 'Trigg' originally because we lived in the Trigg Hundred land district. That is a common origin for surnames - when there were several people with the same first name in an area, they would distinguish them by saying "John of Trigg" or "John of Stratton", depending on where they were from.

As mentioned earlier, 'trig' is Modern Cornish for 'ebb-tide'. It is a common word in the West Cornish dialect and can be seen in the word 'trig-meat' which is a shellfish harvested during low tide. There is a 'Trigg Rocks' off the West Cornish coast.

Information sourced from here.

Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie ...

Fatboy

Post by Fatboy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:56 pm

G'day Diane,

Thanks for the greeting...

We just returned from a months holiday in the Uk...starting in the Scottish Highlands and weaving our way south stopping at every heritage place we could find...we both loved Corwall...did all the touristy things...
but now I'm hooked on history...

Cheers,
Patrick

Fatboy

Post by Fatboy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:15 pm

oi oi oi....

Thanks for the info Hen...sigh...I was hoping with all the Authur stuff going on within the Trigg hundred I'd be able to lay claim to at least one castle... :wink: still shouldn't have got my hopes up...I stood calling out to the Lady of the Lake at Dozmary and she told me to bugger off...shoulda' taken the hint...

Cheers,
Patrick.