Return to the Duchy

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 pm

I am going to be in the Duchy from the 18th to the 28th of August and i'd like to know whats going on.

Gigs, festivals, meetings or events of a celtic Cornish nature that i would be welcome at.

Hen

Post by Hen » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:56 am

Naturally there is the march at Hayle to save the hospital on 27 August. That would be a good thing to attend. :)

Other than that, there is a Carnival on at Bude on 19 August, the Cornwall Folk Festival starts at Wadebridge on 25 August and not forgetting the Newlyn Fish Festival on in Newlyn on 28 August.

This could be interesting if you wanted to show up. It is the Marhamchurch revel. It is held on the first Monday after the 12th of August.

Marhamchurch was founded as a monastic settlement by St. Morwenna and every year the ancient Revel is held to celebrate the Saint's good works. A Queen of the Revel is elected from the village and crowned by Father Time in front of the church where St. Morwenna's cells once stood. A procession, led by the newly crowned Queen riding on horseback, passes through the village to the Revel Ground. Here the villagers are entertained with a show of Cornish wrestling and other amusements.

I hope you have a really great time at whatever you decide to attend.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:46 am

Thanks Hen!

More please everyone!

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:58 am

This may not be in the area, but may be of interest?

Festival in South Wales commencing on 18 August.

http://www.pontardawefestival.com/a/index.php

These may just be too naff to even consider :D

2 - 18 August St Just Cape Cornwall Arts and Crafts Exhibition
Large exhibition of local crafts, paintings etc. Opportunity to buy locally produced goods. 20% of the proceeds go towards Cancer Research.

5 - 6 August Penzance Earth, Health and Mystic Fayre
St John's Hall. Open from 10.00am - 5.00pm.
Demonstrations and workshops. Music, tarot, palmistry and therapies. £2.00 admission, free programme.
Web: www.mysticfare.co.uk

12 – 18 August Penzance 'Osprey' Dinghy and 'Tasar' Dinghy joint National UK Championships at Penzance Sailing Club
Penzance Harbour. Approximately 80 of these two man boats will take part in this event in and around Penzance Harbour area.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:11 am

Are there any goth parties taking place in Kernow during this time? Perhaps, there are goth bands performing. If the middle-aged goth, Alan Thomas, can inform members of the board about general events in Kernow from the depths of the Australian Outback in Wogga Wogga, I am sure he can recommend events centreing upon his speciality and predeliction.

Hen

Post by Hen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:17 am

He would probably turn to this forum and see what was around.

Is there some reason you are pissed at us because two Australians answered a query?

Is it our fault that no one else bothered?

You still can. I am sure there are heaps more that we haven't found.

PS - It is spelt wAgga, but pronounced as you have written.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:15 pm

What's wrong with goths?

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Mr H, a Cornishman, supoposedly, who does not know what is happening in the Duchy, shame on you!

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:23 am

What would be the Goth top five anthems?

Heh, now then, I can only cliam these to be MY top five, and am up for debate on the order.. (Oh and this is corrupted by the fact that I only allowed each band one entry, otherwise it would have been full of Sisters/Neph)

1. (Without a shadow of doubt) "This Corrosion". Sisters of Mercy.
2. "Preacher man" Fields of the Nephilim.
3. "Mercy seat" Nick Cave.
4. "Bela Lugosi's dead". Bahaus.
5. "A Forest" The Cure.

Bubbling under.

"Tower of strength" The Mission.
"Join Hands" Soiuxie and the banshees.
"Jahazralah" Sensorium.

Would you say Violent Femmes are Goth?

In my opinion no, more darkwave- post-punk than goth.

Mr H, a Cornishman, supoposedly, who does not know what is happening in the Duchy, shame on you!

Ah well, seeing as he doesn't live in Cornwall he wouldn't would he? :D

Apologies to fulup for the way the thread went .

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Some near home.

Postschedule.htm

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:42 pm

If you fancy a pint, Fulub, I'm usually to be found at the Queen's Arms, Botallack on Sunday lunchtimes (not being a religious soul). Just look for the white horse, I'll be the guy sitting alongside, guzzling my ale.

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:16 am

Some near home.

Postschedule.htm

Ouch!

I'd stick with the Goth stuff if I were you Fulup, unless you're a sliver band fan, or into The Wurzels, Chas'n Dave, pretend beach boys, or the "new" Chumbawumba"*. :D

Clubbing.

Theatre

Music

*The personification of the term "one hit wonders"?

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:05 am

Just to get you in the mood Fulup, clips from The Celtic Cornwall collection, online at "you tube".