Relocation to St Austell area

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Lancscouple

Post by Lancscouple » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:01 pm

Hello

We are shortly hoping to relocate from cold and damp East Lancashire down to the St Austell area. First choice was Newquay as we have been staying in this area on holidays for the previous 15 or so years but just can't seem to find the right kind of property at the right price. Reason we opted for St Austell is there just seems to be so much more choice in the property market. We would like to think that we have done (and still are) doing our homework on St Austell and the surrounding areas.

Obviously as we are not from the area we were just hoping that somebody would be kind enough to give us a few tips regarding areas to avoid for whatever the reason and also a bit of advice on the more desireable places to be looking at.

Any kind of help would be more than appreciated at this time.

Thanking in anticipation.

Craig & Julie

Hen

Post by Hen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:17 am

Here are some areas that you may wish to make sure your house is not near. These are the "hook-up" spots listed on the Nowhere guide. A hook-up spot is apparently a hallowed spot where everyone hangs around with their mates dreaming of the time when they can get into the pubs or clubs.

Poltair park, gud for a bit of stoner tennis/football.
Bethel Spar is the god of all Spar shops.
The top floor of the multi story car park (deck 10) its got steps down to 3 of the skate-shops in st.austell.
the running track in par was a great spot, not anymore though
The park next to College is well positioned near to Vernons newsagents!
Trelawney road next to the lamp post all the skaters and everyone hang out there.
Thorn Park
Larry's Burger Bar, outside the Bethel Social club
Um, Carclaze park is where i hung out when i was a wee boy! Nxt to carclaze school, and full of needles and rubbish!
Any of the Beaches
Kelly's arcade is still the main place..... always will be I think.
Kelly's arcade, have a ciggie, play some pool, get helplessly attracted by the bright lights of the gamblers
This is the wrong place. Look under St Austell (note 2 l's). That is also the wrong place if you have to live there, believe me.
Sandy Hill corner park
OUTSIDE WOOLWORTHS - AT LEAST IT WAS IN 1974!
by the train station in par theres a half pipe
under the multi-storey carpark on trinity street
Used to be Kelly's arcade, either that or Parkhouse Flats, under the shelter
Almer square is The place to hang out, if your not old enough to do anything else.
http://www.knowhere.co.uk/48.html

So if you don't want a lot of youths hanging out near your place, make sure you are away from all their hook-up spots. :)

Hen

Post by Hen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:54 am

Here is an interesting document that may help you winkle out areas of St Austell you might like to reside in.

Although it is only a report on activities undertaken by Consensus on behalf of Strongvox Ltd regarding engaging the St Austell community on the promotion of a site known as Duporth Holiday Village, St Austell, it is interesting to read the comments of those responding to the proposal and it does give you an insight into attitudes within the community and the issues they are confronting.

It may point you to areas that you mightn't have considered before. It may make you change your mind on areas you were considering.

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:a6V ... ient=opera

For example:

We have also had an increase in the number of less desirable persons in the area, since the hospital moved to Porthpean Road, bringing with it the alcohol and drug abuse treatmnent facility.

Here is a Crime and Drug Profile for the area as well.

It looks like the usual sort of issues that you would expect. However it is interesting that there is a higher rate of domestic violence incidents in St Austell than the average rate for the rest of Cornwall.

Me

Post by Me » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:07 am

What price range are you looking at?
How many bedrooms?
Detached or semi?
Have you got children?

Lancscouple

Post by Lancscouple » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:14 am

Hi there

Budget up to 200k, ideally 3-4 beds detatched if possible, and no we have no kids and no plans for any. Got any sugestions? Thanks for the reply to all of you who have bothered especially the first two which were most informative. Very much appreciated.

Hen

Post by Hen » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:32 pm

No worries lanscouple. I'm always happy to look for information. :)

Me

Post by Me » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:16 am

Lancscouple - I have an ideal suggestion. The house next to me is being sold and is close to fitting your criteria, all the houses here are about 3-4 years old, and in a nice/convenient area. Email me on shirazjiwa@hotmail.com and I'll pass on the details.

Me

Post by Me » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:56 pm

Troll - 2 reasons at least...

House prices will rise in the meantime,
You will loose money on rent and not pay it towards a mortgage.