re-locating to cornwall from Essex!

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:07 am

But Cornwall is different. Not just another county. Tread carefully

Blimey - very sensible ;)

Shars

Post by Shars » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:45 am

Thanks very very much for all of your advice. Again I must stress that I really do not have rose tinted glasses on with regards to the move to Cornwall. Still not sure if it is the right thing but hubby is very keen. Bit worried about what Emmet Guy said about a lot of the food companies going bust! I would also like to clarify that this would not be a second home and we are looking to buy for about £200-250k which is possible as I have been looking constantly on the internet sites. Just out of interest, where did you move to Emmet Guy? We curently live in Horndon on the Hill.

The winters sound great! Actually not very fonf of boiling hot weather!

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:52 am

But don't be scared by the "Kernewek Winters". Cornish people think they're bad because they haven't lived anywhere that gets REALLY cold!

roflmao - 10 years in NE Scotland. That cold enough for ya? :D

Kernewek Winters are dark and damp - not the invigorating cold, snappy weather you get elsewhere. And if you're not a fan of boiling hot weather better not come down here shars as it was record breaking this year.

So, the industry your husband works in isn't stable down here? Has he actually been offered a job?

Shars

Post by Shars » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:02 am

He has an interview on Friday.

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:07 am

I'd like to say good luck.

But I wouldn't mean it ;) Here's hoping someone local gets it.

You say you don't have rose tinted glasses on but what are you expecting from kernow? What is there for you here that you don't presently have? Sounds like where you live is pretty nice. Why do you want to move?

Emmet_Guy

Post by Emmet_Guy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:41 am

Cledry - with you on the dark and damp - but the wild wind and seas are fun!

Shars - I moved from Chelmsford to Camborne. Quite a culture shock, but Cornwall is now home, my son was born here, and I definitely wouldn't go back. It took a long, long time to settle in and get used to it, though.

(As for food companies, look up people like Furniss Foods, etc... Or search the BBC Cornwall news website for redundancies, I guess!).

If you can, come down with him on Friday. While he's doing his thing, you can look around! Get a feel for what places are likely to be close enough to the new company to be practical. When I moved to Camborne, I thought it would be fine to look for work in St Austell or Bodmin... I wouldn't commute that far now, though, it would be a nightmare.

(To clarify, we moved for reasons of my wife's career... so I had the whole "moving to no job" thing to do. Which was really, really hard).

Both of you - if the job is senior enough to move down for, then having it done really well will mean more knock-on prosperity for Kernow anyway. So here's hoping that whoever will do the job best, gets it. Does that sound like a good compromise? ;-)

Shars

Post by Shars » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:01 pm

great compromise. Coming down to Cornwall this weekend and will have a good look about. Thanks.

Emmet_Guy

Post by Emmet_Guy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Cheers 48C

Funny thing... I have a friend who's an English woman, working in Edinburgh for the SNP. I asked her wasn't that a contradiction in terms, and she said "Not at all. I just want the best for the place I call home."

I may not agree with their policies, but I think hers is a great viewpoint.

Likewise, I may not agree with some of the extremes of Cornish nationalism, but I bow to nobody in my admiration for the place, and my determination to give it a great future.