re-locating to cornwall from Essex!

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:12 pm

couldn't have put it better myself. I was in Delabole at the weekend didn't popin to Arthurs though!

Shars

Post by Shars » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Callington is the only place where there is the same work available. Although I would rather live in Looe or Padstow or maybe Tintagel. Only because we have been on holiday there several times. I don't really know Cornwall and so if anyone could tell me where the "best" place to live is. i.e for young families. We already live in a very small village and would quite like to do the same in Cornwall.

Shars

Post by Shars » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:31 pm

p.s Thanks Troll, I have already been on This is Cornwall website and Up My Street but I think it's beeter to get an idea from people who actually live in Cornwall. My head is like scrambled eggs at the moment. HELP!! Ha Ha.

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:42 pm

Sorry if I have offended anyone but I truly intended it to be light hearted banter. I can assure you that, because most of my working life was spent in England, that every time I visited my family I knew whether travelling by rail or road, that I was HOME as soon as I crossed the Tamar.

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:02 pm

How can you seriously be asking people where you should live? Don't you think it would be a tad more sensible to actually spend some time in the duchy before you commit to living here? Plenty people move down here mistakinmg the postcard images and happy holidays as reality and then a kernewek winter hits them like a ton of bricks.

Shars

Post by Shars » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:16 pm

I would like to spend time down there and we have but only on holidays! We \re staying in Penzance soon to drive around maybe Looe, Padstow that kind of area but I don't think you can ever get more than a holiday feel unless you can stay down there for a couple of months or more which we can't do because of work & school committments.

Shars

Post by Shars » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:20 pm

just aksing for advice really!!!

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:20 pm

Yeah - to get the authentic feel you'd have to spend your time looking at houses that you know you'll never be able to afford.

Shars

Post by Shars » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:21 pm

Hello cledry_maid, where in cornwall are you from? You sound a bit hostile or have i got the wrong end of the stick!

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm

Hostile? Me? Whatever gave you that idea? :D Just don't buy the house next door to me.

Shars

Post by Shars » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi 48Crash, at last someone who sounds "normal" ha ha. Actually I have been to Wadebridge and it's lovely. I know what you mean about the other places being a nightmare and crowded. Need to just get down there and have a good look around. I've now suggested to hubby that we wait a while and go down to Cornwall at every chance we get so we can check out some places. Different if you haven't got kids I suppose but Hubby would be quite happy to just up and leave!
Thanks for advice though, much appreciated.

Shars

Post by Shars » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:44 pm

As for ms hostile, no I wouldn't dream of buying the house next door. The Happiness would just be too much!

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:52 pm

Oh shove off. I hate these fekkin incomers starting threads 'Oh we want to relocate to cornwall - please help us' You know jack about the place - you've spent a little time here on holiday - you're asking about places where the vast majority of people who use this site couldn't afford the deposit. My neighbours are from essex - they thought the same as you - been coming on holiday for years - thought they knew everything about the place and haven't stopped moaning since! They're selling up.There's another couple from essex viewed the place twice and are waxing lyrical about wanting a life in cornwall. Great! I'm so pleased for them. At 600k we can't afford to buy anywhere like it, my cousin who has to show people around it can't afford to buy it and we're supposed to be welcoming you all with open arms? You're taking the pi$$. Padstow? Looe? I suspect the poeple who grew up there and have generations of family there would like to be able to buy houses there as well.

Happy? I'll be happy when idiots like you start seeing beyond your own rosy glow of what you THINK this place is like.

And it would be nice if your type actually took part in other aspects of the site instead of just coming straight in and asking for something. Pretty much sums up what your attitude is to moving here - what can kernow do for you instead of what can you do for kernow. What can you do for kernow?

Shars

Post by Shars » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:03 pm

Well it just goes to show you don't know much about house prices. After searching and seeing a place in Padstow I can tell you there are properties £400k + cheqper than £600k! What are you talking about. I never said I wanted to move to a fekkin mansion! As for waht can I do, what do YOU do!!!