re-locating to cornwall from Essex!

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:10 am

Persecution complex! :lol:

I'm a very happy bunny Diane - you mistake vitriol for misery.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:49 am

You mentioned Looe, well I live in Polperro and my dad was from Looe, so I know Looe pretty well. It still has quite a good large local Cornish population, fishing is still VERY big in Looe second only to Newlyn, but apart from that there isn’t much. The shops are dire, a very small Somerfield no butchers several bakeries but it still has 3 banks (might be 2 now). It has quite a good bus service to Liskeard and to Plymouth and it does have a pretty good train service. Nearest supermarket is Liskeard 14 miles and that’s a crappy Morrisons otherwise its Bodmin, St Austell or Plymouth (both 25 miles). If you’re after any form of entertainment nearest cinema, theatre, decent shops, etc Plymouth.

Looe school is VERY good, ranked third in Cornwall only the two public schools in Truro come a head of Looe.

Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:32 am

Shars

Your home sounds good anyway, you live in a very small village, I expect your daughter has already made friends at school, your husband is in work. You've many advantages - jobs will be better paid, facilities will be better, you've constructed a social network (probably), summers will be hotter and winters drier, you're near international airports and other transport links and things like shopping and sports facilities are probably loads better.
Down here jobs are very short and wages low, the health service is on the point of collapse (seriously), house prices are extortionate, your kids will move hundreds of miles away when they are 18, a lot of incomers move down because they want to 'get away from it all' and are not so friendly, the Cornish find it difficult to constantly integrate more people and are ambivalent about doing so.
Why not put effort and energy into where you live now? Stability is essential, especially for young families.

Kernow_boy

Post by Kernow_boy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:52 am

I have to hand it to Kerrow a good point well made, living and working in Kernow is a far cry from the idyllic picture postcard concept.
But if you really do have to move here, please stay away from North Kernow, we’ve got enough self-righteous downsizers here already. And before you say it yes I do put extra effort into making their welcome into Kernow as hostile as possible, why should I feign pleasantries to the very people making it virtually impossible for me to stay here.

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:12 pm

Well said! :D

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:02 pm

Have you thought about Truro? It's got about as best links as one could have, small city, good schools, I don't mind having grown up there.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:49 pm

Cledry, have a look here:

3 beds start at 166k.

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:51 pm

Where?

I'm happy enough where I am - even happier if the house next door was of a price that a local family could buy it.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:23 pm

I think the price reflects the planning consent and the size of the plot, more than anything.

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:30 pm

Planning consent? There's no planning consent on the house I'm talking about :?

eta - send me a link to the one you mean - if it's the one I'm thinking of it's not next door to me but I know the one you mean - I think.

Homeruleforcornwall

Post by Homeruleforcornwall » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Cledry maid - would you mind not suggesting that people with money from the South East relocate in Devon?

We've got our own affordable housing crisis to deal with, thanks.

Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:51 pm

Sorry :D

Emmet_Guy

Post by Emmet_Guy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:00 am

Hi Shars

Don't be put off by the hostile reception in some quarters... You've just been a bit unlucky in that this is about the worst place possible to have asked for that kind of advice! There's a lot of economic problems in Cornwall, and a lot of it is caused by rich people from "up country" buying holiday/2nd/retirement homes, which forces up the house prices so local people can't afford them, and causes perfectly good villages to die in the winter.

Cornwall's changing - getting a lot busier, etc. - and many of the native Cornish blame incomers. Maybe they're right to in some cases.

However - For what it's worth, I moved down from Essex 5 years ago, and I'm loving it. I've encountered this kind of response online, and in the newspaper, but never in person in the pub! (well, rarely, anyway). If you're working and contributing to the economy and the community, people are mostly OK with that.

But it's not all roses. What SHOULD give you pause for thought is the other stuff people are telling you here. Cornwall is POOR. There are not many jobs. It's no picnic. Major food companies seem to be going bust all the time. For starters, if your husband DOES find a job here, he can probably bank on getting paid only about 60% of what he gets for the same job in Essex.

(And the house prices here might not be much different... Depends which part of Essex you live in I suppose! We're higher prices than Halstead, lower than Chelmsford).

My advice is this - DON'T move unless you're sure your husband has got a good, secure job here already. Finding work is NOT easy, and you won't be able to pick and choose... So that will give you a radius to work in, and will naturally narrow down your home search. Bear in mind that Cornwall is big and long, and the roads get slow (especially in the summer) so once you find the job you will only have a few towns to chose from - many of which (if you're looking at places like Padstein) you won't be able to afford anyway (unless your village is in the posh end of Brentwood or something).

...But don't be scared by the "Kernewek Winters". Cornish people think they're bad because they haven't lived anywhere that gets REALLY cold! They're great fun - wild and windy and wooly, but also quite mild. I scrape ice from my car as many times in a year here as I would in a February week in Braintree.

But Cornwall is different. Not just another county. Tread carefully.