Cornish Clock maker George Tyacke from Breage

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Ctrounson

Post by Ctrounson » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:52 pm

I have floor clock built by George Tyacke in Breage. It came to New Zealand with the personal items of my family in 1898.
Does anyone have much information about this clock maker?
what years did he build clocks?
Does the bussiness still exist?
I would be interested in pictures of original clock cases, as the original case was left in Cornwall and my father had the current case built about 1955.

Information on other clock makers in Cornwall would also be of interest

many thanks

cedric Trounson
Greymouth
New Zealand

Hen

Post by Hen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:45 am

All I could find was the following:

"Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World Volume II" by Brian Loomes lists a George Tyacke of Breage (Cornwall) working between c.1820 and 1853.

You might find some info on him at this web-site:
http://www.clockswatches.com/libt.htm

I wasn't prepared to pay the £3.95 t access the info though.

Ctrounson

Post by Ctrounson » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:20 am

Thankyou Hen,

were you not around then?

I was hopeful that maybe the shop or building he worked may still be standing or identifiable.

The top of this clock has an Abatoir scene on it with a bull chained to the floor (around its neck) and a dead sheep on a bench, but the person is eitehr hitting the bul on its head with a hammer or heis using a knife. (The man has lost his arm) He hits teh bull every time the clock strikes.

Bill_of_Polgarth

Post by Bill_of_Polgarth » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:54 am

We too have a clock built by Tyacke and we live near Breage. I have done quite a bit of research about the 'life and times' of our clock and therefore know quite abit about Mr Tyacke and his business. What kind of things were you interested in?

Ellery

Post by Ellery » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:34 pm

Cornwall seems to have had a lot of clock and watchmakers in the past. The most famous is John Arnold(1735/6-1799) from Bodmin who is considered one the greatest clock and watchmakers the world has ever seen.

Ctrounson

Post by Ctrounson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:03 am

I see it was 26 10 2006 that I placed my original post about clock maker George Tyacke.
I received some wonderful help especialy from Mr Bill of Polgart farm.

He has a similar clock in his familiy and had completed much research on the clock maker.

I have corresponded with Bill and this year during Sept got to visit Cornwall for the first time in my life and also met up with 'Bil of Polgarth' and his wife who showed me where the clock maker lived near Breage and also his grave at a disused church across the road.
I am very appreciative of the work of the Cornwall24 web site and all who contribute to it

Many thanks again from New Zealand