Cornish Border - Tamar Lake

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Penfound

Post by Penfound » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:15 am

Hello all.

I have a question regarding the Cornish border that some here with more knowledge of Cornwall/Duchy might be able to address.

It is my understanding that the east bank, bed and waters of the Tamar are territorially within the Duchy of Cornwall.

The Cornish border at Higher Tamar Lake (a man made lake) is shown on my OS Explorer Map as running down the middle of the lake. Is half of the lake in Devon? All the bed in Cornwall?

Any help provided will be most appreciated.

NB This is not meant to be facetious or start a raging debate about Duchy issues! Thank you.

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:19 am

I would think that the natural west bank of the original River would be the Boundary line, as set out Historically by Athelstan.

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:21 am

ooops sorry make that east bank

Penfound

Post by Penfound » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:58 am

Cheers angofbew!

That was my thinking, i.e. that the lake was superimposed onto of the existing course of the Tamar, hence the line down the middle. Interestingly, all of lower Tamar Lake appears to be in Devon.

My neck of the woods is full of these irregularities, i.e. all of the Tamar in the parish of Bridgerule is now in Devon, and all of the Tamar and some of the land to the west of it is in the Cornish parish of North Tamerton.

Ta.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:30 pm

The county of Cornwall is the Duchy. The east bank of the Tamar is the border of the Duchy with England.

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:02 pm

The border has moved around quite a bit over the years. I even think that the place where the infamous pasty recipe was written was actually in Cornwall at the time!