Euchre

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:58 pm

Euchre

Does anybody know about this exellent card game, its origins and if it is Cornish or not?

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:15 pm

I've always been led to believe that its Cornish, never known it played anywhere else, but it isn't, its history is disputed but it started in mainland Europe sometime in the 18c

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:04 pm

Hello Phil, in the UK Euchre is mainly played in Cornwall and some parts of Devon. The origins are unclear, the two handed game is similar to Ecarte, very popular in Paris around 1840. Some say it derives from juker and was taken to Pennsyvania by the Dutch. It became popular with the US navy, this may be why it is played in parts of Australia and New Zealand as well as the far west of the States.

I can never tell my right benny from my left.

Rowan

Post by Rowan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:16 pm

I don't think it's just West Country. I don't know where else it's played, but I do know it's played in Kent.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:34 pm

Jack of spades and hearts on the right, diamonds and clubs on the left. the Benny is the top card and we always used the 2 of spades

Tumbled

Post by Tumbled » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:16 pm

Great game Euchre, I always thought it was a Cornish game exported overseas by the Cornish miners. I know it is played in Canada, Australia, NZ and S Africa. I have a friend originally from Perth who swears it was invented in W Australia. Still played though in most Cornish pubs (and some in Devon). Unbeatable hand is Benny, Left, Right, Ace and King - 4 pointer !! :lol:

Michael407301

Post by Michael407301 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:39 pm

I have played Euchre for many years now and have also been told that the game originated from Cornwall.Living in Devon all my life and becoming the drinking age 26 years ago I was taught Euchre down at my local.Then as now,and many many years before me,there has been great interest in this game with many Euchre leagues in my area.

As for left and right bowers,these are the Jacks in the pack.It depends on which suit has been called for which Jacks are active as bowers.Say Hearts are called,the Jack of hearts will become the right bower,being a heart,and the second highest card .The jack of diamonds,being red as well,will become the left bower the third highest card.If diamonds are called the Jack of diamonds becomes the right bower and the Jack of hearts the left bower.The two black jacks are not active as trumping cards in these two cases.
However the two black Jacks are active if either of there suits are called as trumps.So treat them as the same as the red Jacks explained above.In this case the red Jacks are not active as trumping cards.
I hope this explains the "bowers" and is not to complicated.
Anyway this is a great pub game and who ever plays it enjoy.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:01 pm

Most references I've seen suggest the game has either German or possibly Alsation. I expect many of the Cornish who worked/lived in the US brought the game home. However there were thousands of US troops stationed in Cornwall prior to D-day so there is a possibility they made it popular or maybe a combination of the two.

".....it is believed that the Joker was added to the pack by American Euchre players who, when modifying Euchre rules sometime during that era, decided that an extra trump card was required. The Joker was first called the Best Bower. In the game of Euchre two of the Jacks are named Right and Left Bower; this happened during the 1860s in the USA. Bower is a corruption of the German word Bauer used in Alsace, from where Euchre or Juker originated as the ordinary word for Jack. This card evolved into the Joker during the 1870s."

Mynchya

Post by Mynchya » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:17 am

As the game is played in Canada, Australia & South africa Isuggest that it was spread by the cornish miners as it was played in cornwall long before the americans played it.

HazelM

Post by HazelM » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:52 pm

We played Euchre all the time as children - in America. It is a fun game but I don't hear much about it being played any more. Maybe in circles I am not a member of. Hazel

HazelM

Post by HazelM » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:01 pm

<<As the game is played in Canada, Australia & South africa Isuggest that it was spread by the cornish miners as it was played in cornwall long before the americans played it.>>

In all due respect, there were Cornish miners in USA as far back as they were in Canada. As a descendant of one, I am certain of that. I suspect the same is true about Australia which was being (forcibly) settled after America gained its independence. Hazel

Coady

Post by Coady » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:17 am

The game is popular worldwide, still called Euchre, but sometimes with varying rules. Heck, its one of the online games on Yahoo Games, you can play it online with thousands of others, 24 hours a day.

I honestly don't think its specifically Cornish.

Graham.
We live in interesting times!

Hen

Post by Hen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:52 am

I love Euchre. I've been playing it since I was knee-high to a grasshopper thanks to my Euchre-mad Pah.

Here is an interesting take on the history of Euchre.

History and Evolution

Euchre is a classic card game, and was very popular in Europe during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Its true history is quite disputed.

Many card historians have determined that it was a direct descendant of the Spanish game Triumph. There is also a kindred relationship with another card game of German origin called Juckerspiel. An early version of Euchre was also played extensively in France during the mid 1700's and was given another name – Ruff.

Then again, a reliable source noted that the French renamed the game Triomphe. Finally, another expert claimed that Euchre evolved from Ecarte, and was popularized by the Pennsylvania Dutch. Thus, there are lots of theories and plausible explanations as to the source and history of this game.

During the Napoleonic era in Europe, Euchre was modernized and introduced to America especially in New Orleans (unless you want to believe that the game was introduced in Pennsylvania!). From Louisiana, the game spread along the Mississippi River to the Northern States.

A little over one hundred years ago, Euchre was the number one card game in the United States. The game of Whist was fading and Poker was somewhat limited to the Old West and to the Riverboats.

A few decades later, Euchre was eclipsed by Bridge. The United States Playing Card Company tried to sustain Euchre with specially prepared decks of cards and creation of similar games; however, the Bridge craze could not be contained.

The Internet has revived the game, as well as the publication of some really fine books. Today, Euchre still has legions of devotees around the country - especially in the Mid-Western and Northeast states. It also has a national organization and a series of live events. The MSO Event in August of this year will feature this really great game.

For more details on Hearts, Spades, and Euchre - refer to this Site: http://www.pagat.com - it is a treasure trove of information!
http://www.msoworld.com/mindzine/news/c ... ews2e.html