Why is Cornwall so poor?

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:27 am

I'm just a bit frustrated Cornwall should be flying as Ireland is! Why is Cornwall so poor? I hope things change and Cornwall can retain some of it's well educated people in decent esteemed jobs.

Feeling frustrated is part of the course Jezza. Ireland didn't get where it is today by hoping for change. If you have the passion for Cornwall, and the hope for it's future then put you 'computer and network stuff' to good use. The internet is where Cornwall is thriving, donate some of your time and skills to helping Kernow; read up more and help spread the word, there's a lot of effort and hard work going on behind the scenes, you too can play your part. You've arrived at this forum; that is a good start.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:30 am

Frustration is no excuse for the sort of outburst that you have made. It is the arrogance that you have just displayed that provokes an already frustrated Cornish patriot to express such sentiments as 'p*ss off' and 'b**ger off' from whence you came. I have to admit that I quite agree with such comments. Why don't you take your honours degree along with you?

As for why?? Just take a look at Frenchie's exposition into the Duchy of Cornwall for insight.

Grum

Post by Grum » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:39 am

Mike said:
Grum, I've seen from a number of your previous postings that you found problems in Cornwall, employment-wise? and the like. Looking around the UK, a malaise is not just restricted to Cornwall. Tell us more. A lot on here would have grown up in Cornwall so we all have an opinion on this.
I don't quite understand what Jezza is trying to tell anyone.

I can only comment on what I've seen, which is in Cornwall a lot of people just never try to get themselves out of the situation they are in and piss all their money away on beer and weed. I haven't brought it up before because I can't quantify it, which drives me nuts, but it is there all the same.

Jobs are hard to get, good ones especially, but they are not impossible by any means. Everyone is aware that something is wrong, they just don't know what, so they end up giving up before they've even started and blame their woes on people like me who refuse to do the same.

The real problems are well known to regulars on here, but if awareness is raised in those people on part-time min-wage jobs that they have something to aim for and light at the end of the tunnel, think of all those free man-hours at your disposal?

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:46 am

I can only comment on what I've seen, which is in Cornwall a lot of people just never try to get themselves out of the situation they are in and piss all their money away on beer and weed.

Grum, that is not something exclusive to Cornwall. It goes on everywhere.

Grum

Post by Grum » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:47 am

frenchie said:

I assume you mean Duke, not Duchy..

If Cornwall rids itself of the Duke, and all the illegal practices associated with him, then gets it's own assembly, there will be a new sense of optimism and hope in Cornwall. With the activities of the Duke exposed, together with all his offshoot arselicking associates who have so far benefited from his behind the scenes interventions, then Cornwall will begin a new era. Without the Duke there will be no obstacles preventing Cornwall's recognition as a minority nation, the UK government will be forced by Europe to fund Cornwall's future as a national minority and everyone will feel what it's like to have an invisible oppressive force lifted from it's collective consciousness. Maybe then the inherent Cornish spirit from the past will resurface and set a future trend in motion..

Either or really, just removing the extra constraints on the region by the body of that name.

I just think that you may end up like scotland if you are not careful, the same malaise is there regardless of status. Many of the problems cannot be remotely resolved IMO and the collective concious thing is a gamble.

I'd say better to hit the ground running, personally.

Grum

Post by Grum » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:51 am

frenchie said:

Grum, that is not something exclusive to Cornwall. It goes on everywhere.

Yup, but I have never seen it so endemic as in the duchy and it does seem.....different, somehow. Maybe because of the low (antisocial) crime rate to accompany it; everyone just seems content to quietly fade away.

Arrgghh, this is why I don't mention it, because nobody who hasn't seen it will believe me!

Grum

Post by Grum » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:53 am

Mike said:
Thanks Grum, I'm going to think about it.

Nae bother.

Hope I haven't depressed you too much! :-O

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:02 am

Hope I haven't depressed you too much!

Words of inspiration can motivate people Grum. Depressive reflections of yours may hold some truth but where do they lead?

edited by: frenchie, Feb 22, 2007 - 12:03 AM

Grum

Post by Grum » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:13 am

chris said:
Has anybody actually answered the question why is Cornwall so poor?
Well one reason, at least up until recently, is that national employers including councils, paid staff down here less.
I guess another is the type of work available down here.
And another is distance (and more importantly travel time) to the real money - i.e. London

That used to do my fruit - about a third of the journey time between london and truro is in cornwall itself - higher speed rail transport links are needed, especially now TeamKernow won't let me fly :lol:

Grum

Post by Grum » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:15 am

frenchie said:

Words of inspiration can motivate people Grum. Depressive reflections of yours may hold some truth but where do they lead?

Hopefully to not pretending they aren't there and then motivating some people?