Why is Cornwall so poor?

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Laghyades

Post by Laghyades » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:02 am

If you had to hand over a substantial portion of your income, never to see it again, to your feudal lord and master, you’d be poor too. As poor as a blind drunkard in a crooked poker game. What I cannot understand is why this country has not sent these leeches, these heirs to the grandson of a Viking pirate, packing decades ago. How infantile it is nationally to have some bit-player from a fairy tale as your head of state. The generations now being born will look back on this time and wonder at the soft-headedness of Britain.

And you know what ? I would bet Ceylon to a tea-bag that, when the royal (I utterly refuse to capitalise anything to do with this lot) family finally realises that the orchestra has started up the finale, that the heir will finally come out in support of Kernow and a Cornish Assembly. Why ? Because there will no longer be any money to be made from Kernow, and he will be desperately searching for relevance and the spotlight in a new era.

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Cornwall is not that far from London in the grand scale of things. Closer than Newcastle is for example. I think that alot of our problems exists in perception, both ours, and other people's.

Studies by Southwest tourism show that Cornwalls attraction is that it is percieved as backward and out of touch. This can then be transfered onto the people - IE, Cornish people are local yokels. This then means that even well qualified Cornish people are not percieved as being capable of undertaking the decent Cornish jobs, reinforcing the sense of 'we're backward and not good enough' This then means that the Cornish are largely relegated to the lower end of the labour market, whilst...

In the end, the group removes themselves from the mainstream and concentrate just on themselves, refusing to interact with the wider world, and then you have a downward spiral.

Ultimately though, all of this exists inside of the head, which means that by changing people's ideas about us we can change how we are perceived etc.

In other words, we have to make people from outside of Cornwall believe that we are happening, dynamic, fully wired up and sooooo 21st century. 8-)

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:37 pm

OK from my first posting on this thread, I got the response I was hoping for :-) A good few ideas coming from ordinary Cornish Folk. I do not see that many in this Forum sitting on their arses with no get up and go. What I see is a People who have forsight, and who, given the chance would propel Cornwall into a better future.
The main points to a better future for Cornwall is Self Rule. We, as a Nation are being held back by England, and the English based Political Parties. What sort of Cornwall do we have now? and what will it's future be with a similar Political will that we have now? The answer is simple, one of no hope. That no hope that is now inbred into our Children. No hope of a Future, no hope of a decent Job, no hope of being able to own their own Home, no wonder they have given up. This English supremacist mentality sucks, some of the worst Managers I have ever seen or worked with were English, they have ruined many a good Cornish Company.
This idea also of Cornwall being too far from anywhere, sorry too far from where ?? London is further from America than we are. I mean what is that sh*t, it's total rubbish. All Cornwall needs is the Political Will. Falmouth Docks could be made into a Fantastic Port, closer to America, easy access to Europe, all it needs is investment in the right areas. Cornish Farmers could get together to create their own Company to Sell and Control their Produce, then reinvesting the Profits back into where it would be best used. A Cornish Government could Finacially support HOME grown talent, with the right backing who knows where it could go. We, the Cornish have done it before, and I believe enough in the ability of the Cornish to be able to do it again. THEY see us differently beause we don't talk like them, well I don't want to talk like them and be a total Prat, I much prefer to talk like a Yokel and have my own identity. Bloody English, just because you happen to be different they have to put you down, and thats only to make them feel better about the total balls-up they have made of Britain. I mean we must pay more Taxes than just about any other Country, and why? to support a mass of Civil Servants who cost more than they should. Look at Road Tax for God sake, it costs millions to run, then it cost millions more to chase up those who don't pay, totally crazy, the World gone Mad.
If you the Cornish want a better Future for Cornwall, kick out your Labour, Tory, Lib/Dem leeches and Vote Nationalist at every Election. Join MK and become active in your area, you ALL have something to contribute, not one of you is as they portrey us Cornish to be. Actually your quite clever (wash my mouth out with soap).

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm

Some fair points jezza. Why are we so poor, a number of factors, location with poor transport links, small rural population there isn’t a critical mass population wise. In general terms the further you are from London the poorer you tend to be. There are no big multi-national employers here as there isn’t the service sector to support them, and there isn’t the service sectors as there aren’t the big business to support it’s a vicious circle. Where I work in Plymouth even suffers from this, as an example we can’t get DELL to guarantee a 4 hour response for our kit as the nearest parts depot is Bristol, and Penzance is a good 2 hours further down the line.

And joaniewillett I’d dispute that Cornwall is closer to London than Newcastle average train times from Newcastle to central London is around 3h 15, from Penzance is 5h 30. It always amazes me when I travel from London to Plymouth that Penzance is another TWO hours away!

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:09 pm

I think the comments on here sum the situation up completely. There are a few constructive people in Cornwall who care about a good future. Then here are those complete fools who turn everything into an us and them game where they don't have to improve themselves.

There's diamond people in Cornwall who really have a go but ultimately when the businesses etc. fail people have to move on. I seriously feel for those people who lost their jobs at Imerys.

The few constructive people in Cornwall who care about a good future are not content with simply 'caring'. They are very busy forcing issues, exposing lies and corruption, taking the government to court, informing Europe of how the Cornish are being illegally treated, building pro-Cornish websites and generally believing wholeheartedly and utterly that the future will see a new Cornwall that will bring positive change based on genuine and true human values.

Join in if you like, it's free..

The complete fools will always be just that..

Ellery

Post by Ellery » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:57 am

fancyabrew said:

And joaniewillett I’d dispute that Cornwall is closer to London than Newcastle average train times from Newcastle to central London is around 3h 15, from Penzance is 5h 30. It always amazes me when I travel from London to Plymouth that Penzance is another TWO hours away!

Do you think the english have fiddled with the maps to make Kernow appear smaller? :-?
In old maps Kernow always appears larger in relation to england than it does today.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:17 pm

Do you think the english have fiddled with the maps to make Kernow appear smaller? icon_confused
In old maps Kernow always appears larger in relation to england than it does today.

It's down to all the tin being removed Ellery.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:51 pm

I'm surprised as well that Labour and the LibDems haven't criticised Cornwall for being 99% white, what a PC sin that is!

I heard that the council on the Scilly Isles got penalised for not having enough ethnic minority police was it?

Didn't they also get into trouble for not implementing some road accident prevention scheme as well even though there's never been an accident.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:16 am

Jezza
An interesting forum topic!
Firstly I don't think Corwall as a county is that poor. Sure there are pockets of poverty, but overall it's not doing too bad.
A barometer of wealth is to take a look at its main town, in this case, Truro.
It has 2 + private schools, a Savills estate agent (a sign of property wealth), Mercedes garage with BMW, Audi, Jaguar nearby. The shops include Monsoon, M&S, Laura Ashley and so on.
The small farms have sadly gone, but there's a lot of folk in agriland with Range Rovers, Discoveries etc.
The new trades are changing. There's a lot of fine hotels, restaurants in the county, serving quality local foods. The airport is expanding with increased numbers on business and short breaks. People are relocating from the south east creating jobs in high tech/ IT.
Sure there's going to be a stubborn minority, but there has never been a better time in the county.
The Eden Project has put Cornwall on the map and with the road improvements etc, Cornwall is being dragged into the 21st century.
So I hope your question will soon be a comment from a bygone era!!

Kattell

Post by Kattell » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:30 am

The Eden Project has put Cornwall on the map

Think you'll find we were already on the map before THAT arrived :roll: