Why is Cornwall so poor?

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:09 pm

The Eden Project put the Eden project on the map.

english cartographers removed Cornwall as a nation from the maps of Britain.

So I hope your question will soon be a comment from a bygone era!!

I hope your perception of Cornwall as a county will soon also be of a 'bygone' era!!

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:53 pm

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:23 pm

Trevorpen said:
Jezza
An interesting forum topic!
Firstly I don't think Corwall as a county is that poor. Sure there are pockets of poverty, but overall it's not doing too bad.
A barometer of wealth is to take a look at its main town, in this case, Truro.
It has 2 + private schools, a Savills estate agent (a sign of property wealth), Mercedes garage with BMW, Audi, Jaguar nearby. The shops include Monsoon, M&S, Laura Ashley and so on.
The small farms have sadly gone, but there's a lot of folk in agriland with Range Rovers, Discoveries etc.
The new trades are changing. There's a lot of fine hotels, restaurants in the county, serving quality local foods. The airport is expanding with increased numbers on business and short breaks. People are relocating from the south east creating jobs in high tech/ IT.
Sure there's going to be a stubborn minority, but there has never been a better time in the county.
The Eden Project has put Cornwall on the map and with the road improvements etc, Cornwall is being dragged into the 21st century.
So I hope your question will soon be a comment from a bygone era!!

Hmmm. Cornwall's economy isn't that bad eh?

So with average wages consistently far below the GB average (and in some instances the worst in Britain)

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=7569
http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=10615

Was also looking for the GDP but haven't found it on the CCC site. I have spotted it in the past and that has Cornwall pretty low down on the index too.

Check out too the wages advertised in newspaper job vacancy sections. If Cornwall is so well off, why do in-migrants always comment on how huge a pay cut they've had to take in order to move down?

Trevorpen, I think you might be confusing the wealth of a few with the struggles of the vast majority of locals.

Ellery

Post by Ellery » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:34 am

Fulub-le-Breton said:
Lets put it back on the map! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Real ... ingdom.png

Could someone do the copyright thing before it gets taken off 'cos I don't know how.

edited by: Ellery, Mar 10, 2007 - 01:50 AM

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Very, very true Shaz.

A30-YO-YO

Post by A30-YO-YO » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:46 pm

I'm not Cornish but I've lived and worked in PZ for 28 years and seen property prices move up to London levels whilst wages have not!!, leaving young people especially in a desperate position. My suggestion and I think it would apply to all counties is that young people on leaving full-time education get a 'birthright voucher' which entitles them to half a building plot....the local council would then be obliged to organize the provision of sufficient plots by law if necessary by buying agricultural or other land....would this not have the effect of reducing 'building land 'prices which is , I think ,the element which pushes house prices out of reach. Current planning laws have a throttle hold on the supply of building land and I think it is an obvious invitation to corruption and unnacceptable that the housing market should determine when our species chooses to reproduce! As an aside the county I grew up in was completely annihilated in 1964!(Middlesex!) at least Cornwall has a County Council. Do local councils and County Councils have the right to solve housing crises in the manner I've suggested without interference from Westminster?....rgds, A30-YO-YO

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:15 pm

Not sure, but dont expect so A30.

CCC certainly seems toothless when dealing with Cornish issues.

Perhaps we need to present an image of ourselves to the world beyond Cornwall as Perfectly Capable Thankyou Very Much and leave Cornwall as Victim far behind?

AnGof

Post by AnGof » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:49 am

jezza said:
I'm not on here to offend any proper Cornish locals, but why is Cornwall so poor, i.e. the poorest county in the UK. Do you feel it has something to do with the culture, location or the previous mass waves of emigration overseas? To be honest I don't blame those who left Cornwall, they were the smart ones!

I'm an Englishman, I was born in England and all of my relatives are ENGLISH, boy! I've been to the local Cornish schools and colleges. Most the people I went to college with were outsiders. The confidence and motivation in Cornwall appears to be zero. For a southern County to be the poorest in the UK is frankly shocking and shows a lack of something somewhere.

The problem with the few locals and yokels who remain, is that they all go around in their own little groups and cliques :-? . Interaction with people they don't know and strangers is limited or non-existant. Whatever people say in their clan is OK and if an outsider says anything or has an opinion that is wrong automatically :roll: . They also just want to continue with the relaxed lifestylee, just might do a few hours work in the pub. What's the point in thaaaaaaaat work see boy?

Most the young Cornish in my town of residence are down eeeeee pub every night. The China Clay seems to be the final industry to be winding up. A lot of the young Cornish / Cornish hybrid women seem to have a bit of an attitude problem, particularly with outsiders. Like the Welsh the Cornish can be very two faced. They'll be nice to your face and do something nasty.

Now brings me onto the final punch line. The houses. You all know that housing in Cornwall is pricey and desirable. I've known locals who simply cash in on the high prices on their inherited house to those emmetts in London, then move into a cheaper place and live off the proceeds :-D. Suppose it beats hard work.

Cornwall is a place that’s got problems, Jamie Oliver said it too. These are my observations from growing up and living here for 13 years now. You have to admit it and move on to something better :-P . So far the only little progress has come from outsiders :lol: .

Gas dha flows Sowsnek...

Coady

Post by Coady » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:23 pm

frenchie said:

I'm surprised as well that Labour and the LibDems haven't criticised Cornwall for being 99% white, what a PC sin that is!

I heard that the council on the Scilly Isles got penalised for not having enough ethnic minority police was it?

Didn't they also get into trouble for not implementing some road accident prevention scheme as well even though there's never been an accident.

True!! Scilly were castigated for not having enough ethnic minority presence in their local FIRE BRIGADE....when there was just no-one on the islands that qualified! Total madness.....
We live in interesting times!